TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Camper outlet Page: 1, 2  Next
Enkiel Wed May 10, 2006 7:09 am

on my so-42, the hole where the bus is supposed to be plugged is empty, and was replaced with a cheap power cord.

I saw a few pictures of what its supposed to look like, and i wonder if mine is correct, and if it is, what is supposed to be inside there....

here's the only pictures i have of it

btw, is that even called an outlet or something else?

crofty Wed May 10, 2006 7:19 am

enkiel wrote: on my so-42, the hole where the bus is supposed to be plugged is empty, and was replaced with a cheap power cord.

I saw a few pictures of what its supposed to look like, and i wonder if mine is correct, and if it is, what is supposed to be inside there....

here's the only pictures i have of it

btw, is that even called an outlet or something else?

It looks correct other than it's missing the receptacle.

Enkiel Wed May 10, 2006 7:31 am

what is it supposed to look like? is it a standard receptacle that i could find anywhere?

crofty Wed May 10, 2006 7:49 am

enkiel wrote: what is it supposed to look like? is it a standard receptacle that i could find anywhere?

It screws in from the back and it's a male end.

biggestdaddyo Wed May 10, 2006 7:59 am

Yeah, mine is still there too, but it's shot. The male end receptacle is shattered. I wonder if it's a standard RV type of part that we could get from like Camper's World or something? Oh and by the way, that seems like a lot of wiring and hoopla to only provide ONE little outlet inside the bus.....!? What gives? Where do I plug in the microwave, coffee maker, televizzle, jambox, electric toothbrush and spongebob nightlight?

Major Woody Wed May 10, 2006 8:45 am

Mine is made by Leviton.
I was in need of a replacement for the big rubber boot on the back that protects the terminals where the wires connect, so I took the entire unit down to the local electrical supply wholesaler and showed it to them. They were able to find it in Leviton's catalog by matching the picture. The outlet is still available but the boot thing is not. I do not think that the boot was a Leviton part, I think it was either a Westfalia part or something that they sourced elsewhere. I could not find the outlet on Leviton's website because I have a hard time deciding what to call it.
My outlet was dull and corroded on the outside and the steel rivets were starting to rust so I polished the entire thing to a mirror shine and protected it with urethane clearcoat, including the rivet heads of course so they would stop rusting.
If needed, I think I could dig it out of its box and post some pictures of the outlet/connector, the wire to the inside outlet and the interior outlet with cover plate. Please send me a PM if these photos are necessary.

edited to fix two typos

Enkiel Wed May 10, 2006 9:09 am

i'd really like to see some pictures...

i almost have the feeling what i have in mine is correct, just not installed correctly.

crofty Wed May 10, 2006 9:23 am

I can post pics later as well

Major Woody Wed May 10, 2006 9:28 am

Jean-Francois,
J'irai à la maison et creuserai par mes boîtes et signalerai quelques images ce soir ou demain soir.

Crofty,
What are you using for the rubber boot that protects the live wires--or was your old one usable?

Enkiel Wed May 10, 2006 9:30 am

creuserais? lol...

its like... err... digging a hole.... not really looking thru boxes :P

but any picture would be nice... if possible, one of the whole thing installed too.

ToolBox Wed May 10, 2006 9:49 am

Leviton part number 4937. Cost is around USD $20.

Or get all fancy with a locking inlet.

crofty Wed May 10, 2006 11:10 am

Major Woody wrote: Jean-Francois,
J'irai à la maison et creuserai par mes boîtes et signalerai quelques images ce soir ou demain soir.

Crofty,
What are you using for the rubber boot that protects the live wires--or was your old one usable?

My old one is still usable.

I wonder if you could modify something like this to work-

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113953193GR

maybe a bug headlight seal as well?

Major Woody Wed May 10, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks Toolbox.
That top one is a dead-on match although it looks galvanized and the original one is cast aluminum. But that's really nitpicking and for $20 you can't go wrong buying a new one. Nobody would know. Enkiel, I am thinking the entire back half of your outlet assembly, which is bakelite, is just gone. Probably broke off and got thrown away.
Sorry about the bad translation.

Crofty, I am going to start looking at auto parts places for that rubber thing. It looks like a rack and pinion seal, you know where the tie rod part of the rack goes into the rack body. The reason I think that is because the hole where the wire comes out is huge--way bigger than it would need to be in order just to pass that wire and its sheath. If I find these things for sale somewhere, I will pick up some extra as I bet they are missing from most people's westies. You know Westfalia was all about making "off the shelf" things work in their conversions and wouldn't have a custom part made unless they had no alternative.

Chris

Enkiel Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 am

Major Woody wrote: Enkiel, I am thinking the entire back half of your outlet assembly, which is bakelite, is just gone. Probably broke off and got thrown away.

is the back half you're talking about some kind of tube between the two part connecting to each other? if its the case, then i think i have everything except that "tube"...

Barnabus Wed May 10, 2006 12:38 pm

I also have a large split ring lockwasher around my elec wire for that outlet. I am kinda scrathing my head as to why that is there.

Major Woody Wed May 10, 2006 12:42 pm

Barnabus wrote: I also have a large split ring lockwasher around my elec wire for that outlet. I am kinda scrathing my head as to why that is there.

Mine doesn't have that.

Enkiel, I don't understand.

crofty Wed May 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Major Woody wrote: Enkiel, I don't understand.

camperfan Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 pm

You guys might try a gearshift lever boot for the inside live wire cover. It kinda looks similar and might be the right size at both ends. My camper still has the receptacle and rubber boot although the rubber looks well aged.

70 140 Wed May 10, 2006 12:59 pm

enkiel is the end of the wire in there, maybe the end is still on it?

you could install this in behind for that easy hook-up experience :D

Major Woody Wed May 10, 2006 1:07 pm

crofty wrote: Major Woody wrote: Enkiel, I don't understand.

What, would French have been better?
Enkiel, je ne comprends pas.

How about Portuguese?
Enkiel, eu não compreendo.

Russian?
Enkiel, я не понимаю.

Mandarin Chinese?
Enkiel, 我不瞭解

Pig Latin?
Kielenay, Iay on'tday underandstay.

Jive?
Enkiel, ah' duzn't dig it ya'.

Swedish Chef?
Enkeeel, I dun't understund yuu. Hurty flurty schnipp schnipp!

Ebonics?
Ay yo Enkiel, check dis! You's a wack-ass mofo, beaaaaaatch!