TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Berrien Chassis Registration
vwdune234 Tue May 16, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm looking ahead at what I will have to do to register my buggy which is using a Berrien Chassis. Has anyone out there done this already? I still have the tags from my original chassis which was a 69 beetle, but I bought the berrien chassis since mine was definetly unrepairable. Can I just weld my old tags on the new chassis or would that be violating some law somewhere. There is parts from the old chassis like the IRS arms that I am still using! ;) But seriously though how would I have to go about registering this chassis, I know I'm not the first one trying this.

caseydenise Tue May 16, 2006 6:39 pm

What state are you in? I have a tube frame buggy also. The biggest thing for me was that it is registered as a 2003 assembled vehicle. I got this done in New Mexico, It was a peice of cake out there. Cops came to look at it, and it was done.
Check you state rules on assembled vehicles.
I also have the 66 "donor" bug title. That's how I got it done in NJ. As a beetle.

Endoboy Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm

I'm pretty much positive that there is no state where swapping a VIN plate is legal. Those were created for the exact purpose of stopping people from doing that as part of stealing and chopping cars, and then selling them as a different car.

I also think that most states have a procedure for creating custom fabricated cars, although it can be very difficult. Here in California, they only grant 500 per year, in a state with more than 35 million people. I've heard from the DMV office that they're all gone by the second or third week after they become available each year.

Check with your local DMV, or even better, if you know any law enforcement people who aren't out looking for you :wink: , ask them if they know the procedure and any hints on making the procedure go more smoothly.

Mark

vwdune234 Wed May 17, 2006 8:41 am

caseydenise wrote: What state are you in? I have a tube frame buggy also. The biggest thing for me was that it is registered as a 2003 assembled vehicle. I got this done in New Mexico, It was a peice of cake out there. Cops came to look at it, and it was done.
Check you state rules on assembled vehicles.
I also have the 66 "donor" bug title. That's how I got it done in NJ. As a beetle.

I am located in Illinois, I am not ready to register yet but I will be close this summer. Should I tryto pass off the old title as a donor title or just go for special construction registration? Which one do you think would be easier?