TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Updated pics on 64 custom Ghia Also in VW Trends/Hot VW Mags Page: 1, 2  Next
bigdish2 Wed May 24, 2006 10:47 pm

Found 64 Ghia in a barn here in Texas it's listed in VW Trends Special June 2003 Issue under the section "25 Most Memorable VW's of All Time". A custom 1964 Karman Ghia coupe that has been dropped, chopped, and the frontend was fabricated for the Porsche 959-style headlights, painted Porsche Rasberry Pink. He also custom built a one-piece removeable Carson top still in good condition. It needs a good wax job and cleaning from sitting about 15 yrs but everything looks pretty good. I was told by his son they took it around to a couple of car show's 89-92 and that it won 1st place in a catagory everytime the car showed up. Saw a few plaques and trophies but researching more. It was last registered in the early 90's and been parked since. Jim Whitehead built three other customs were finish around this same time 88-91 they are; a 57 oval ragtop, 67 karman vert bug "Arguably his best", 62 ragtop. I know most of these where in VW Trends magazines and other VW mags anywhere from 88-92. I'm just starting to research for them. I have the June 2003 VW trends mag with this car in it from 1988. Have seen the 57 oval in center fold in another mag it's white w/pink flames just can't remember when and which mag. Does anyone have any VW mags with Jim’s VW's in it? Would be interested in purchasing a couple. Thanks

Also found a copy of VW trends mag from June, 88 with the write up and pics.

sovereignsamba Wed May 24, 2006 11:33 pm

HAHAHA

sovereignsamba Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 pm

whats under the lid? where's the front bumper, & what kind of back bumper is that?

Skim Thu May 25, 2006 2:11 pm

Holy shit, I had that car on my wall when I was in Jr High school. Infact that car I think belonged to Jim Whitehall I think was his name he also had a white oval rag that was on centerlines and flames. I could be wrong shit were talking 19-20 years ago.

"The Bucket" I believe bought the built motor the guy had too.

bigdish2 Thu May 25, 2006 5:58 pm

This is the one. It was the centerfold of either july 88 or nov 88 VW Trends. Just been sitting for over 15 years covered. I have not done anything to it like clean it up and stuff like that. I never saw he's 67 karman vert bug in person but seen all the pics from his son claims that was the best one of the 4 customs he did. Jim Whitehead died in 02 but I still go by and see his son every now and then. I'll try to get some pics of all his cars. 57 oval ragtop, 61-62 ragtop, 64 ghia being built, and 67 karman vert bug all tricked out. "The bucket" did buy the stroker motor that was built by some bigtime VW drag racer from what I heard.

Thanks for fixing my photo's haven't figured it out yet.

70 140 Thu May 25, 2006 6:43 pm

Nice find, there are a lot of cool custom touches on that ghia. Its pretty sick. I hope you plan on cleaning it up and leaving it as is!!

Skim Thu May 25, 2006 8:54 pm

70 140 wrote: Nice find, there are a lot of cool custom touches on that ghia. Its pretty sick. I hope you plan on cleaning it up and leaving it as is!!

Exactly, that car has a lot of history behind it. I would love to see that car cleaned up and brought back out to a show. Those were the cars that inspired me when I would be not paying attention in class looking at my VW mags.

bigdish2 Fri May 26, 2006 1:50 am

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/[email protected]/]

lonslo Fri May 26, 2006 11:28 am

I remember that car. I had that pic on my wall, too?

70 140 Fri May 26, 2006 11:31 am

Great Pics!! Its funny to think that at one point updating to the 67-71 dash was something people admired. Now its all about going the other way.... Fiberglass splitwindow inserts for fat chicks. :?

Naked Fri May 26, 2006 5:05 pm

Man I love to see an old "period" cars still in awsome shape. That stilll is a great lookin car almost 20 years later. Man those MR2 seats take me way back, had the same set in my old Mini Truck back in the day. These a couple guys around here in Sac. One of the has a 75' or 76' Celica and the other has a 71' 510 and there as clean as they where back in 86' cruisin Sunrise Blvd. :P

Skim Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 am

Naked wrote: Man I love to see an old "period" cars still in awsome shape. That stilll is a great lookin car almost 20 years later. Man those MR2 seats take me way back, had the same set in my old Mini Truck back in the day. These a couple guys around here in Sac. One of the has a 75' or 76' Celica and the other has a 71' 510 and there as clean as they where back in 86' cruisin Sunrise Blvd. :P

exactly naked, I also remember seeing for sale "Shockwave" the convertible graphicked squareback built by George Delfino of Bakersfield a couple years ago, it still had the same paint job and everything. I really wanted that car to preserve it. Those cars are worth keeping the same.

bigdish2 Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:56 pm

See first post with updated pics

Also bucket,
I can remember his dad building this car when I was a teenager. Asked my dad if it was a porsche because thats what I thought it first was until he said vw.

thebucket Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:21 am

bigdish2 wrote: See first post with updated pics

Also bucket,
I can remember his dad building this car when I was a teenager. Asked my dad if it was a porsche because thats what I thought it first was until he said vw. Where do you live? I am good friends with Bro. I had tried to buy that car from him about a year ago. But his sister who owned it didn't want to give it up. I am very curious about what you paid. Congrats either way. 8)

Matt K. Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:49 am

What a blast from the past..................rasberry was the shit back in those days..........................sweet find 8)

Skim Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:48 am

Matt K. wrote: What a blast from the past..................rasberry was the shit back in those days..........................sweet find 8)

you aint lyin. I had a raspberry GT Pro Performer back then. LOL

thebucket Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 am

Skim wrote: Matt K. wrote: What a blast from the past..................rasberry was the shit back in those days..........................sweet find 8)

you aint lyin. I had a raspberry GT Pro Performer back then. LOL Me too. I traded it for a chrome diamond back though :D

Skim Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:57 pm

Speaking of the old school...Well who remembers this. "Future Shock" now on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-Builders-dream_W0...dZViewItem

Thornton Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Skim wrote: Speaking of the old school...Well who remembers this. "Future Shock" now on ebay

i remember you could buy those wheels from barrett enterprises in the mags late 80's early 90's
remember 12 orange pages of parts in hotvws

they sold those wheels thru them

vintagevolks Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:52 pm

Skim wrote: Speaking of the old school...Well who remembers this. "Future Shock" now on ebay

I had seen it on ebay as well.. I use to have this Notch on my wall back in the days..