TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 147, 148, 149  Next
bugnut68 Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:14 pm

rubber hammer wrote: Looking through all these old pictures brings back alot of memories.Back when I worked at Trafton&Maier in Portland I worked on Sean Cour's custom convert, and his black rag top, both were done very nice. The convert was a show car so we had to push it in and out of the shop so the chrome turbo pipes wouldnt get blue. All of the striping was done by Mitch Kim of Portland. Does anybody have any pictures of the Green Machine bug that used to run around Portland that was owned by Bill Trafton.

A guy I know in Eugene told me that Sean's black rag top wound up burning to the ground after it was bought by some kid and turned into a daily driver. My buddy said he found the Fuchs and all sorts of other parts off the car at a swap meet and whoever had the parts told him the story. That was a beautiful car, I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

rubber hammer Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:36 pm

That sucks. at the time it was the nicest ragtop in the Portland area.

Hakka Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:29 am

Sorry if this is a repost. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=987737 Now you can own a sweet 80s mag. car for cheep!

hotrodsurplus Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:50 pm

boxrod wrote:

This is a pre Las Vegas VW Club called Precious Metal.

Members from right to left.
Todd "the hacker" West - Island Snow bug
Chris Shelton - Alculpulco Thing
Greg Calabrese - 63 bug
Joey Reese - Ghia
Derek Campbell - 64 13 window
Gerald Casey - 13 window
Steve Richardson - 56 "Pink Panzer" oval
Jason Lewellen - 68 bug
?
DJ Yeagley - bug
Anthony Pallon - 63 bug
Sean Judd - Pink squareback
Tracy - 69 bug?
Brian Barlow? - bug
Jason Wroblewski - 64 sunroof bug

I still got the shirt:

And the car (24 years with it--my first car):

Jason Wrowblewski's car was a '65...and was mine before it was his. I'll never really forgive him for hacking the pristine dash for the crappy Kenwood pull-out tape deck and the virgin tomato-soup door panels for some cheap speakers.

Since this is about '80s and '90s customs, here's one. I sold that '65 sunroof to Jason and another one to someone else to build this '66. 2110, close-ratio trans, Centerlines, dropped spindles, etc. Fun car. All I have from it are good memories and bad Polaroids. The car sat retarded low in the back because I hadn't gotten a chance to raise it up properly. Man it got so much faster when I raised the rear!

boxrod wrote: Good times for sure. Pre bullshit days, no kids, wives, buinesses, politics, and enormous egos to get in the way.

Don't forget no money, either! Life still sucked, only for different reasons.

hotrodsurplus Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:08 pm

jonny1309 wrote: my65rhd wrote:

And one of my favorite bugs

This one had a carson top. It was also in an article in Hot Rod magazine.

It appeared in a Petersen Special Interest Publication called Volkswagen Classics. That would be Spring '83.

Neat trivia about that car. Its builder, Scott Guildner, went on to build trad hot rods and customs. He was a Burbank Chopper for a while. A few other Choppers started with VWs. Aaron Kahan built a relatively famous scalloped bug (he actually still has it). I want to say that Deron Wright built another famous scalloped bug (red with white) in the early '80s.

j8bug Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:17 pm

hotrodsurplus wrote: boxrod wrote:

This is a pre Las Vegas VW Club called Precious Metal.

Members from right to left.
Todd "the hacker" West - Island Snow bug
Chris Shelton - Alculpulco Thing
Greg Calabrese - 63 bug
Joey Reese - Ghia
Derek Campbell - 64 13 window
Gerald Casey - 13 window
Steve Richardson - 56 "Pink Panzer" oval
Jason Lewellen - 68 bug
?
DJ Yeagley - bug
Anthony Pallon - 63 bug
Sean Judd - Pink squareback
Tracy - 69 bug?
Brian Barlow? - bug
Jason Wroblewski - 64 sunroof bug

I still got the shirt:

And the car (24 years with it--my first car):

Jason Wrowblewski's car was a '65...and was mine before it was his. I'll never really forgive him for hacking the pristine dash for the crappy Kenwood pull-out tape deck and the virgin tomato-soup door panels for some cheap speakers.

Since this is about '80s and '90s customs, here's one. I sold that '65 sunroof to Jason and another one to someone else to build this '66. 2110, close-ratio trans, Centerlines, dropped spindles, etc. Fun car. All I have from it are good memories and bad Polaroids. The car sat retarded low in the back because I hadn't gotten a chance to raise it up properly. Man it got so much faster when I raised the rear!

boxrod wrote: Good times for sure. Pre bullshit days, no kids, wives, buinesses, politics, and enormous egos to get in the way.

Don't forget no money, either! Life still sucked, only for different reasons.
minimum wage was $3.35 hr. for us young guys back then...

jonny1309 Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:25 am

hotrodsurplus wrote: jonny1309 wrote: my65rhd wrote:

And one of my favorite bugs

This one had a carson top. It was also in an article in Hot Rod magazine.

It appeared in a Petersen Special Interest Publication called Volkswagen Classics. That would be Spring '83.

Neat trivia about that car. Its builder, Scott Guildner, went on to build trad hot rods and customs. He was a Burbank Chopper for a while. A few other Choppers started with VWs. Aaron Kahan built a relatively famous scalloped bug (he actually still has it). I want to say that Deron Wright built another famous scalloped bug (red with white) in the early '80s.

I don't recall seeing it in Volkswagen Classics (the 80s is a lost decade for me). I do remember a small piece in Hot Rod magazine.

Scott, then of T&S Auto Body, painted a car for me back in the day. That's back when his shop was next to Arao Engineering.

Sguildner Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm

I sold this car in 1984 to a guy in Simi Valley, CA. It was on the cover of VW Classics spring of '83 vol.1/No.1. I was never a member of the Chopper's Car Club, I just built all of their cars(It's a secret) Also, I built two more chopped convertibles, one is in Japan and the other one was sold to a guy in Santa Clarita, Ca. The one in Japan was black and featured in a HotVW how to customize your VW. The other one is maroon and it was featured in VW Trends in '93. if you have any question, I am still around.

vaughn bros. Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:05 am

Here is a 57 we did for a guy in my hometown. In the late 80's, an IRS pan was "trick" on an early car. We didnt want to do it but the owner would have died before he went with a swingaxle,...or different interior, ..... or..............anyway, got in HVW's in about 1992.

vaughn bros. Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:19 am

This was my brothers' 64. Wheels were CalMasters at first (1983), then 356 steelies painted yellow, then a nice set of BRMs before we tried to sell it at the 1987 Farmington Bug Bash. Car was for sale for $1200.00 but no takers. Later it was wrecked all to hell and broke one wheel.

jmsmilin Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:10 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1044354

fresh

bigblue Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:10 pm

mixedup59 wrote: bugnut68 wrote: thebucket wrote: Remember this one?

How current are these pics? I remember that car, it was owned by a guy here in Oregon named Sean Cour, if I remember right. He also had a pretty damn bitchin' black early '60s sunroof with shaved doors, Porsche alloys and pinstriping.

I'd always wondered what happened to some of these cars after the heydey of the '90s.

I remember it being for sale back in the day. Didn't it go to Japan? I could be wrong. Anyway, Here's a few more of it that I had....

showed up in arkansas recently. wheels and tires changed, but its still in the same shape. amazing to look at today!

rjonas Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:49 pm

My old '65 looker back in 1989

rjonas Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Sold the '65 Looker in 1991....raised 3 kids VW-less for 8 years :(....bought a '67 Looker in 1999

Gotta love 80's -90's customs...pastel stripes...wood dash...tweed interior...Porsche nipples....

How it looked when I bought it:

Sold it in 2004 to a guy in Michigan looking like this:

Todd5 Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:10 pm

73sports Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Check out this sano looker on Philly Craig's List...

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2027390172.html

Only $2200!

Jake Martinez Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:34 pm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/232972.jpg

og brms?[/img]

vaughn bros. Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:10 pm

Jake Martinez wrote:
og brms?[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/232972.jpg
[/img]og brms?

Hey, thats me in that picture with my old 64. The date on the photo says 1988. Here are two more pics.

Richie_Rich Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:02 pm

It's not the 80's but in 1978 this is how we rolled in Lincoln Heights.

8)

Jake Martinez Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:13 pm

vaughn bros. wrote: Jake Martinez wrote:
og brms?[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/232972.jpg
[/img]og brms?

Hey, thats me in that picture with my old 64. The date on the photo says 1988. Here are two more pics.

so are those magnesium?