TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to get tension back?
RidinLow Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Whats up everyone..... OK i just lowered and worked on my first VW. How do I get the tension back in the spring plates? I lowered it two splines and now riding on the bump stops. I got everything back together was driving it today, almost to bumpy. Do you loose all the tension when lowering it that low I think I went down about 4".

All help is needed I need to get this thing riding at a moderate level so I can deliver it to my grandpa this weekend. Its been sitting in the shed for
17 years and I thougt this might be a nice thing to drive again...

RidinLow Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Here is what I have been working on. Put a 4" narrowed beam and drop spindles up front.

onelowzuki Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Here is your choices basically,raise it back up or trim and/or remove the bumpstops. I removed mine and it rides OK now

dirtydeedss Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:54 pm

take the bump stops off and notch the springplates

Mr. Unpopular Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:57 am

WOW, what a neat looking body!

MURZI Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:01 am

I removed the bumpstops.

RidinLow Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:52 am

OK thanks for the help guys I might try and take it back apart again and move it one spline down. Any tips as to getting the shaft off the SP? The passenger side just fell right off and the driver has been a pain.

Thanks for the comment on the body FL Buggy, I have only seen one other and it has been on this site. If I remember right the body is a 76. I only remember one ride in this buggy as a kid and that was being picked up in pre-school.

Genom Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:27 am

For anyone wondering, the body is called a Concept 1.

RidinLow Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:53 pm

Damn Genom your right..... It was made in Lincoln, NE. Still has the plate in between the seats.