TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: line bore tool Page: 1, 2  Next
shot Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:58 am

Does anyone have the instructions for Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar. Need info. on setting cutters, and dial indicators bad.

nsracing Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:26 am

you have pix, sir?

What kind of linebore tool you have?

Setting is setting. You have a bearing...measure the OD. The boring bar has an axis line...measure from the axis line to the actual "stick-out" of the toolbit ...and multiply by 2 = diameter.

So...OD of bearing minus "bearing crush" = mains diameter.

The best way to check is get a dialbore gauge and see. The setting tool for the bits should be able to read 5/10,000 inch.

keifernet Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:09 am

nsracing wrote: you have pix, sir?

What kind of linebore tool you have?
Setting is setting. You have a bearing...measure the OD. The boring bar has an axis line...measure from the axis line to the actual "stick-out" of the toolbit ...and multiply by 2 = diameter.

So...OD of bearing minus "bearing crush" = mains diameter.

The best way to check is get a dialbore gauge and see. The setting tool for the bits should be able to read 5/10,000 inch.

Quote: Does anyone have the instructions for Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar

Is this one of those that has a gauge built into it that you "dial up" the cut you think you need? Those are really JUNK boring bar IMHO

nsracing Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Junk ..these are NOT. These have been the best I have seen work flawlessly yet. These suckers are very accurate. It can do at least 5/10,000 inch or less.

mharney Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 pm

It's off by 0.0001". I can see it. :P

keifernet Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:42 am

nsracing wrote: Junk ..these are NOT. These have been the best I have seen work flawlessly yet. These suckers are very accurate. It can do at least 5/10,000 inch or less.

Is one you post the same one the original poster is asking about?

Looks like your posting about your "true line" Nick... I never said those are junk. Just that if the one he is talking about is the kind I think it is, then it is a POS IMO. :wink:

nsracing Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:13 am

There is the TruLine and Porta tool. Is there a third kind? :P

Now..this I HAVE to see. I am curious what this beast looks like.

How about some pics of this thing? Let us see it so some of us here can input on how to use it.

keifernet Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am

nsracing wrote: There is the TruLine and Porta tool. Is there a third kind? :P

Now..this I HAVE to see. I am curious what this beast looks like.

How about some pics of this thing? Let us see it so some of us here can input on how to use it.

Yes there is at least 2 other types I have seen over the years...

Cold Form Products Line Bore Tool Bar

Can't you read? :roll: :lol:

I would like the original poster to put up a pic too... for confirmation of my suspicions. :wink:

Jake Raby Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:43 am

There is also KENT Tools which made a bar as well...

I had a German unit that was made by Stahlwille in the late 80s, but like a dumbass I traded it for a 911 engine...
The Tru Line has always been best for me..

keifernet Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:53 am

Jake Raby wrote: There is also KENT Tools which made a bar as well...

I had a German unit that was made by Stahlwille in the late 80s, but like a dumbass I traded it for a 911 engine...
The Tru Line has always been best for me..

Kent- Moore tools made the orignal "portaliner" and now pretty much the exact same thing is offered by Rocky Jennings...

This info is from another thread on these various tools from a few months ago....

http://www.rockyjennings.com/bore.html

jeff01 Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am

Anybody has any more pics of tools like this?

There is no way doing this job here in estonia and I decided to let make a tool for that.

What would be the easiest way to do that. (not for high performance engines)

Mr Cayko Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 am

I know this is and old post but does anyone know where i can get a new cutter for the line bore

nsracing Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 am

/what lineborer do you do have? I may have spares for the Truline. The porta tool kind is easy to find them.

Dauz Mon May 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Don't forget the guy who's made his own. There's a 20 page thread on it somewhere here. I think he had to pull the plug on the project due to a hurricane.

Lo Cash John Mon May 20, 2019 7:24 pm

That guy lives just about 30 minutes south of me. He was dead set on building an align bore tool using aluminum for the main bar. I'm no machinist but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna work that well. His whole reason for building his own bar was because driving 30 minutes up to Jacksonville for machine work was to much hassle. :lol:

Anyway, he never finished it as far as I recall.

nsracing Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 am

The reason to have your own lineborer is if you intend to do a lot a motors.

I just like having my own. 'But before I had mine I used to drive 2 hours to get my cases linebored. The old man died and all his tools in the shop got sold off. So I had to find my own.

I don't have anymore spares. Sold off all of them.

calvinater Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 am

Lo Cash John wrote: That guy lives just about 30 minutes south of me. He was dead set on building an align bore tool using aluminum for the main bar. I'm no machinist but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna work that well. His whole reason for building his own bar was because driving 30 minutes up to Jacksonville for machine work was to much hassle. :lol:

Anyway, he never finished it as far as I recall.

Whatever happened with his jetboat?

elpres Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:30 am

No one around here can do a line bore. So I’m considering to buy a tool my self. Any pointers? What not to buy?

Bama Dave Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:35 am

Your in Denmark, right? Look for a guy on here name Alstrup. He is also in Denmark.

elpres Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:38 am

Bama Dave wrote: Your in Denmark, right? Look for a guy on here name Alstrup. He is also in Denmark.

Yes I heard his name mentioned before. Torben I think is his first name.
But I would rather buy a tool and do it myself, I rebuild 4-8 engines a year so I might as well throw some money after a tool.