TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: DUMB question regarding steering box for buggy
Jeem Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:02 am

Lube?! If so, where? Seems weird to have to pull the small adjuster and jamb nut out to put oil in. What weight gear oil should go in?

Also, for a bonus point, should there be a slight "catch" dead center in the steering box's sweep? My steering gear works very smoothly with no side to side or up and down movement (play) in either the steering shaft or the output shaft, just a slight tight spot in the center of the steering range.

I've heard in the "hot rod" world Vega boxes do this and it is normal.

seabeebuggy Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 am

barring grease. and most likely would not need to be done unless it leaks and or is really old.
I would take it apart and look for a flat spot. check everything to be sure it is tight and not hitting anything. wheels to the box. the arm might be hitting something when centered..??

Jeem Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:51 am

The box is loose from the beam, and seems to be in great shape with my only concern being the slight "hitch" in the center of the travel. I'm hoping not to have to tear into the box but.....

BumbleBuggy Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 pm

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're one of those people who would be driven crazy as to why it's doing what it's doing. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jeem Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:27 pm

Just checkin'.

Actually, I don't even think I'd feel it, if I turn it with the steering wheel. I'll finish the steering column soon and then I'll see.....

onlybuggin Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:55 am

How do you find the center position of the steering box. When I first assembled my buggy, I got it back together the right way. After putting on a new steering wheel and doing some other work, on the beam, I've never been able to get it right. The signals don't cancel when they should, the wheel doesn't lock in the straight forward position, and needless to say the wheel is not centered. What's the best way to get this close to right.

lostinbaja Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:16 am

onlybuggin wrote: How do you find the center position of the steering box. When I first assembled my buggy, I got it back together the right way. After putting on a new steering wheel and doing some other work, on the beam, I've never been able to get it right. The signals don't cancel when they should, the wheel doesn't lock in the straight forward position, and needless to say the wheel is not centered. What's the best way to get this close to right.

The best way to center the box is to count the turns lock to lock and divide by 2. Center the steering box then adjust the tie rods so your tires are centered. Finally, after making sure the steering box is centered, recenter the steering wheel by moving it on the splines of the steering shaft.
I always use the black moly grease that is used in CV joints for the lube in my steering boxes because if flows. Wheel bearing grease would leave voids with no lube.

EZGZ Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:59 am

If you use the ajusting screw on top of the box. Do not adjust it with zero play at dead center or when you are in a locked turn and take a hit it will break things in the box.

This is one of those cases where a tad loose is better than snug.

Can someone please tell me the trick to getting the lid off the box????? I have loosened the top bolts and gotten the lid loose but something is still holding on.......

Jimmler Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:04 am

My brand new TRW steering box has also has a slight "tick" when moving thru center. Once the tie rods were installed and the damper in place, it's a lot harder to detect. When the steering column is tied in, I suspect it will no longer be an issue.

Jeem Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:20 pm

lostinbaja wrote: I always use the black moly grease that is used in CV joints for the lube in my steering boxes because if flows. Wheel bearing grease would leave voids with no lube.

Thanks for the tip Dude!

Jimmler, I think you're right. Turning the box with a steering wheel vs. just turning it with the input shaft will be like night and day. I doubt you or I will feel that anymore.

Reverb Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:38 pm

I can`t speak for a VW box, but my experience with other boxes always has a little notch like that for dead center.

onlybuggin Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm

lostinbaja wrote: onlybuggin wrote: How do you find the center position of the steering box. When I first assembled my buggy, I got it back together the right way. After putting on a new steering wheel and doing some other work, on the beam, I've never been able to get it right. The signals don't cancel when they should, the wheel doesn't lock in the straight forward position, and needless to say the wheel is not centered. What's the best way to get this close to right.

The best way to center the box is to count the turns lock to lock and divide by 2. Center the steering box then adjust the tie rods so your tires are centered. Finally, after making sure the steering box is centered, recenter the steering wheel by moving it on the splines of the steering shaft.

Got all of that down. I guess I have a problem when I get to connecting the shaft to the coupler. How do I know the shaft is connected in the right orientiation and not 180 degrees the wrong way? I know this sounds petty but I'm using a stock column with the signal controls and locking ignition. I'm trying to get the signals to cancel when they should and the ignition to lock in the straight forward position. I think I've redone so much stuff on it now that I can't it all to align and cant figure out how to get things zeroed in.