TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: looking for a quick answer on broken throttle cable
90volts Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:50 am

throttle cable just broke. i have a buggy. so obviously my replacement is too short. this is the first time this happened. the one on the car is still sticking out the tube by the pedal like half an inch. is there an easy way to run the new one? should i just pull the old one from the rear?
and my original has this tip on it with a hex screw. looks like i can cut it to size once its through and then push it into the tip and tighten the hex screw down? should i push it through with the existing tip and then cut or cut the tip off first and just feed the wire through?
how's all that sound? trying to get it going now.

HamburgerBrad Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:10 am

i don't think you can pull them from the rear, at least not on a stock setup. the ends are different. as for a replacement, i'm pretty sure pacific customs in corona, ca sells universal kits for cars with longer/shorter wheelbases

Yellermanx Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:37 am

If the cable is broken pull the back part out the back and the front part out through the front. Feed the new cable in from the front then attach it to the pedal. Go to the back and pull the slack out of it and the pedal all the way up. Cut to length and hook to carb or linkage. If you are using one of the cable shortening kits it's better to cut a little long drive it home then make final cut or adjustments.

90volts Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:49 am

perfect-thanks.

90volts Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:22 am

thank you for that advice. i am home! glad a cop didn't stop to see if i needed help- no belts or seats in yet! no widshield! ooops.
anyway , did you know that in order to cut the chassis the tubes inside the tunnel need to be cut too! :oops: LOL - i don't know why i did t think of that right away.
longest thing was getting it lined up just forward of the access plate out of the one tube and then a half inch later, into the other tube!
98% complete now. now that i'm back i can get my length on that perfect, get the rest in and (hopefully) be out and about this weekend! woohoo

Yellermanx Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Sounds like whoever shortened your chassis did not do it properly. They should have slid the front half back and let the throttle cable tube come out the back of the chassis then cut off the amount that the buggy was shortened. No biggie, just make sure it doesn't chafe where the gap is. Glad you're home.

jspbtown Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:06 pm

You could also get a sand rail type throttle kit that has a plastic guide tube and insert it into the metal vw guide tube. Slide it past the joint in the metal tubes and it will smooth the transition.

onlybuggin Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:13 pm

I've heard this but haven't seen this. It's a temporary fix that will get you home if you don't have access to a throttle cable. Take a long string and tie it to the throttle arm on the carb. Route the string out of the deck lid and up the drivers side on a beetle or up over the rear of the body and between the seats on a buggy. Pull the string and away you go. Not the best but it just may get you home.

Once when I was stranded with a cable that became disconnected and did not have pliers or wrench to reattach and tighten it, I opened the carb and dropped in a screwdriver and was off. Had just one speed and had to slip the clutch some but it got me home.

Frontloader Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:25 pm

If you have a buddy with you when you break a cable, just have him sit in the back, reach over the back of the bug and operate the throttle.

Feels real weird to have no control of the speed of the bug as you go up and down mountain roads. But we made it back to the house.

BumbleBuggy Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:05 am

Broke a cable in my car when it was still a bug at the carb. took a piece of speaker wire i had in the car and tied it up. Could only get to 55 because of the slack but made it to my destination. 8)