TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1954 & 1955 engines whats not correct! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
janerick3 Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:08 pm

The coil has been replaced, as the TE6A3 coil was used until the end of the 1956 model year. This explains why the bracket is missing.

Also, my Dec '54 Barndoor engine with an upright air cleaner has the fuel line hole in the front tin. I believe the tin is original.

D-train Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

janerick3 wrote: The coil has been replaced, as the TE6A3 coil was used until the end of the 1956 model year. This explains why the bracket is missing.

Also, my Dec '54 Barndoor engine with an upright air cleaner has the fuel line hole in the front tin. I believe the tin is original.

Was that for my engine or the Barndoor one?

janerick3 Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 pm

D-train wrote: janerick3 wrote: The coil has been replaced, as the TE6A3 coil was used until the end of the 1956 model year. This explains why the bracket is missing.

Yours. I can read "TE6B1" on the end of the coil.

D-train Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:53 am

janerick3 wrote: D-train wrote: janerick3 wrote: The coil has been replaced, as the TE6A3 coil was used until the end of the 1956 model year. This explains why the bracket is missing.

Yours. I can read "TE6B1" on the end of the coil.

Correct, now I have to find the right strap n coil... Damn.

Got the right crank start apron for it now too.

Didn't realize that there was 2 different styles to go along with the front pulley tin until 2day, it's prob in this thread and I've read it but forgotten.
U can see the differences with the finger section.

An I found a triangle bracket, just need a finger now.

nlorntson Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:13 am

Finger is for 25hp. You want the pulley tin with no finger.

This is 25hp tin.

D-train Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:20 am

U sure? Australia was limited with 25hp motors an I have 2 of the finger crank tinwares, plus my engine has been I storage for 40? odd years.
By the looks of it too, the front pulley has never been off and it's the no finger pulley tin, so needs the finger crank start tinware if that makes sense.

nlorntson Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:24 am

D-train wrote: U sure? Australia was limited with 25hp motors an I have 2 of the finger crank tinwares, plus my engine has been I storage for 40? odd years.
By the looks of it too, the front pulley has never been off and it's the no finger pulley tin, so needs the finger crank start tinware if that makes sense.

The pulley is a later pulley too as has been stated. So yes, you need the crank start tin with no finger, the one with blue paint on it above.

D-train Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 am

nlorntson wrote: D-train wrote: U sure? Australia was limited with 25hp motors an I have 2 of the finger crank tinwares, plus my engine has been I storage for 40? odd years.

The pulley is a later pulley too as has been stated. So yes, you need the crank start tin with no finger, the one with blue paint on it above.

I'm goin to have to look into this now. I've never seen a random 25hp engine around the place here unless in an early car (which are very few) so it wouldn't explain why I have 2 25hp crank tinwares.

When did the thin lip pulley finish tho?

Australia had random things too, not standard stuff like USA

janerick3 Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:20 pm

D-train wrote: ...

I have an April 1956 engine w/the thin lip pulley...

D-train Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:51 pm

janerick3 wrote: D-train wrote: ...

I have an April 1956 engine w/the thin lip pulley...

Good call. I'll have to swap it then..

D-train Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:04 am

fixed the missing screw..

and changed the pulley.

D-train Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:30 am

so this is seriously, just an oil change and clean the plugs. scraped out the sludge from where my finger could fit around the sump plate.
didnt touch the points, clearances or anything.
the pump even worked. needed to bypass the og line to the pump, it had holes.
got fuel into the carb, then cranked away with the crank handle.

then this happened.

henry roberts Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 am

:D super stoked for you!

D-train Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:32 am

Just another quick one showing this motor.

motofly196 Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Thats one of the reasons I love these 36hp engines!! I did the same thing with an engine that was sitting on a barrel in a lean-to for 30+ years. The guy I bought it from remembered his dad setting it there after he pulled it out of a wrecked 56' oval. That's awesome!

D-train Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:07 pm

motofly196 wrote: Thats one of the reasons I love these 36hp engines!! I did the same thing with an engine that was sitting on a barrel in a lean-to for 30+ years. The guy I bought it from remembered his dad setting it there after he pulled it out of a wrecked 56' oval. That's awesome!

makes it all that much better doesnt it.. good to hear yours did the same too!!

PASHN8 Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:58 am

Here's my September '54 36hp nearing completion, yes I know the coil should be black :P

Any other notable errors? One thing to note, it has been 12v converted, but aiming to keep the stock 6v look :)

EverettB Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 am

It looks great.
Are you going to run a fake regulator to complete the look or convert a round regulator to 12v?

splitjunkie Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:28 am

uberwagen wrote: What is not correct for early january type 2 ? (Ignore the 1- case number)
...Discuss...

That is one rare sigt. Those original manifolds are very hard to find. Did that bus come with that manifold or did you add it? If you have any problems with the engine running correctly, a vacuum leak from the inside of the jacket is the first thing to check.

virtanen Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 am

D-train wrote:

and changed the pulley.

This pulley looks to be for 25hp, and for 13 mm belt.