TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steering System
manxman63 Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:38 am

Well I finished for the most part my buggy build. I have found that with the 3" lift my steering wheel is alittle higher than i like. Anyone have ideas or suggestions for tilt steering column? It seems to be the way to fix this without chewing any extra holes in the buggy. I still need to fit my roll cage in and add an inside cage... figured i better resolve the steering issue first.

manxman63[/img]

lostinbaja Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:54 pm

Tilt steering columns from a Chevy Cavalier are nice and short and work perfectly in a buggy. They can usually be had without a shifter lever and usually pretty cheap...$20 to $25 bucks.
Jerry...

jspbtown Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:30 pm

On my old Sterling kit car I used a tilt from a Chevy Chevette. They are pretty hard to find. For my Manx I am using a titl column from Flaming River that I got off EBAY for about $225.00 I will mate it to the stock VW box with a u-joint from Borgeson (www.borgeson.com). The Flaming River units are stainless exteriors and comein a variety of lengths.

didget69 Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:53 pm

Columns similar to tilt Chevette column can be found in Pontiac 1000's (Chevette clone) - also look at Fiero columns, a ones from Chevy Citation/Pontiac Sunbird/Chevy Cadaver... err, um... Cavalier, etc...

bnc

manxman63 Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:01 pm

thanx for the ideas guys.... we'll see what i can find

manxman63