TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: harley powered buggy
dirtydeedss Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:20 pm

A whaile ago i was surfing the internet and found some manx style buggys with harley engines. Anybody have any pics of them or a link to the site?

Genom Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:54 am

The site I found doesn't show a dune buggy with a Harley engine, but mentions it can be used in one.

http://bikeweekreport.com/harleycar/

While it is a cool idea to use a Harley engine, especially if you want to tuck the engine under the short tail section of a Manx-type buggy, the cost of the conversion doesn't justify it. The adapter alone is $1850 and you still have to supply the engine.

EZGZ Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:45 am

Cool idea except it's air cooled with no fan :(
I have a Harley twin cam 88 and it is 1450 CC of down low torque.

I used to feel stupid throwing $4k dollars into a stroker VW engine.

After I got my HD and found out a factory crate long block sells for $7k I had brown spots in my shorts :shock:

It's not uncommon to see a used engine at a swap meet for $4K.
I guess thats why folks steal them bikes and leave the Suzuki's.

One day when I was growing up (60's)we were ridding bikes in the street and and heard this deep growling engine sound coming from a field a few blocks away. It sounded loud and like it was going in circles for a while and then stopped before we could locate where it was coming from for sure.

We found the field and saw some tracks the next day so kept looking and found that this fellow had bought this old worn our 1/4 midget race car that had an old flat head V-twin indian motorcycle engine for power. It was still dripping oil hehehehe

It was a little single seat thing with a rounded front body and cool knobbie tires. It had a long straight exhaust pipe and thats why we could here it thumping blocks away.

Someone had called the cops and they warned the guy not to drive it and it was really leaking oil and needed work. We never got to hear it or see it run again no matter how hard we pleaded with the guy :cry:

dirtydeedss Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 pm

heres a link to our shop we do full custom builds performance and repairs
www.homesforharleys.com

EZGZ Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:31 pm

Nice place you have there dirty.

I see you have the resorces to do something wild

Thumbs Up

EZGZ

dirtydeedss Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:38 pm

when i save enough money mayve one day ill give her a go