TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: myers manx in a crate
desertthing Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:53 pm

my uncle found a myers manx in a crate under someones house. He bought it and brought it home. It had never been drilled on and still had all the paperwork from Myers back in the day. What would something like this be worth?
Thanks
Ron

MURZI Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:54 pm

depends on the condition, but I would say at least 2 grand.

desertthing Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:18 pm

I saw it. I looks brand new.

lostinbaja Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:48 am

Considering new bodys (copies) can be had for $1200, I would think $2000+ isn't out of line for an original Manx, especially if you find someone with more money then brains.
Jerry...

Yellermanx Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:26 am

I'll make a prediction. A true"Meyers Manx" body in "new" condition would last 15 minutes in the classifieds for $2000. I'll save you the trouble of advertising it, I'll take it. This is not an attempt to buy it, just my feelings on it. OK I'll take it. :lol:

Yellermanx Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:30 am

lostinbaja wrote: especially if you find someone with more money then brains.
Jerry...

Guess that would be me. Considering I don't have much money, guess I'm really lacking in the brains department. :oops:

UncleBob Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:34 am

I think a perfect crated NOS Manx will fetch over $5K.

Yellermanx Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:45 am

I think an unbuilt Siggy sold for $8k a while back.

racetearoffs.com Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:06 am

Sure would like to see piks of it for archives and just to see what kind of packaging it came in . Whats with it and the look of a 40 year old package allways is intrigueing .

didget69 Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:46 pm

Quick!! Somebody call Geraldo Rivera to do a story about what's under Grandpa's house!! :shock: He could redeem himself on this story... crap, now I'm just dating myself - :oops:

bnc

lostinbaja Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:42 pm

I was just talking to my friend's father about the methods of shipping original Manx bodys, back in the day.
He owned a body shop in the Chicago suburbs and they built 50 or so original Manx buggys over a couple year period. The shipping company that delivered the bodys to his shop, delivered them on a skid, no crate. I have trouble believing they didn't arrive with a ton of scratches in them.
Jerry...

plasticman1432 Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm not jumping on the BS bandwagon.....but it does smell a little fishy; the 'virgin/genuine Manx in a crate' is a very popular urban myth, and we've all heard versions of it - usually with no proof when the time comes to step up.

If it's a real Manx body, I'm curious as to the serial number. The closest I've seen to mine is about 400 away, and I'm always looking.

mighty-manx Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm

If this is for real I would contact Bruce Myers directly and see If he wanted it NOS manxes don't grow on trees.

Yellermanx Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:23 am

plasticman1432 wrote: I'm not jumping on the BS bandwagon.....but it does smell a little fishy; the 'virgin/genuine Manx in a crate' is a very popular urban myth, and we've all heard versions of it - usually with no proof when the time comes to step up.

If it's a real Manx body, I'm curious as to the serial number. The closest I've seen to mine is about 400 away, and I'm always looking.

Someone had one a couple years ago. I believe it was Rick Leddon in Texas. He posted pics then built it if I remember correctly. I believe it was blue like yours. I would also like to see pictures.

What is the serial # of yours. Mine is M2803C907E. It appears that there were a lot built in March of 69. Must have been good times.

plasticman1432 Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 am

Mine was molded in April of '68; the serial number is: M1689D815E.

flaboyjim Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:55 pm

Golly - this is the first time that I can "brag" about the Manx that I own -

Serial #M2178G826S I now even own the original name badge for it... Life is good...