TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Registering a Dune Buggy in California?
fastbacker Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:33 am

I've read through a bunch of posts via the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What if I were to put a f/g dune buggy body on my smog exempt 69 bug that has current registration? If I got pulled over, can the cop cite me for something even though the vin matches the registration?

Thanks-
Craig

vdubyah73 Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:40 am

I live in Mass. It's a lot like Ca. I built my buggy without ever taking my 73 donor car off the road. It stayed registered during the build. When I was done, I put the plate on it and went and got an inspection sticker. Don't ask don't tell. I've been pulled over twice, warned once and ticketed once. I took the ticket to court got the fine reduced, the car never came up. If ever questioned about it just say you bought it like that, and restored it. Don't over think it. Don't say anything to the DMV you may end up with a 2006 buggy that has to pass emmissions. From what I see on various forums You ask ten DMV employees and you'll get ten different answers. They don't know what to make of a dune buggy. Again don't ask don't tell. You're way ahead of the game you have a title and a plate.

Good luck, Bill

fastbacker Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 am

I grew up in Mass. The big difference between registering cars inCalifornia and Massachusetts is that in California there is just a smog check every two years (if it's newer than 1975). No inspection process.

Seeing that my 69 Bug is pre-smog, it would never have be looked at again. My only fear would be a cop pulling me over and saying, "This doesn't look like a 1969 VW Bug."

Genom Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:32 pm

In New York you're supposed to register a dune buggy as "Homemade" (sounds like an advertisement for soup at a deli). But when you try and go through the process, they react like "WTF? just register it as a VW since the VIN is on the chassis." So all the buggies I've had over the years have been registered as VWs and I've never been pulled over. I've been asked about the buggy by police officers either in a parking lot or a traffic light, but thats about it.

Balboaislandbob Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Posted: Today, 5:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oops, let's try this again

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169844&highlight=

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/veh_table_of_contents.html

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.html/hsc_table_of_contents.html

fastbacker Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:01 am

As far as getting one of those 500 exemptions, when can I go to the DMV to get the application?

Thanks-
Craig Backer

Balboaislandbob Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:27 am

DMV told me that they make appointments up to 30 days in advance; thus make the appointment on 11/01, or best to line up your ducks earlier. I beleive that you must have a SPCNS worthy title in your posession. The DMV field offices communicate with a specific management office in Sacramento on this topic. Ask for their # and communicate with them directly so you can assist the DMV field office on the new year visit. A DMV field office on the first business day of the year likely would take toooooo long to figure out what you want and where to get it without your guidance. They deal with VERY FEW SPCNS titles.

(800) 777-0133, use a speaker phone to calm the wait and make it happen!

let us know how it goes

or, run an early stock motor and chassis like me and have no problem in the worse case ==> smog check. They test to original VW specs, easy to pass, no extra equipment to pass with a DMV "smog referee" that giggles at your little engine, as you can imagine what his daily engine inspection consists of.

I have a 1200cc that rips the 1965 chassis fast enough for me, a buggy is a 1,000 lbs lighter that it's original bug, so it goes fast

Flat4Tom Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:39 pm

You can try to make an appointment, but you probably won't get in soon enough to get the exemption documents. When I got mine, I did have an appointment at 11:00 or so in the morning and that's when I went. This was a year and a half ago so not too many people knew about them then.

I got exemption number 396 out of 500 at a little past 11:00am on the first day available.

If I had to do it all over for another car, I would simply take the day off, get down to DMV about 30 minutes before they open so you're the first person in line and go for it that way. Forget the appointment - probably anything after 10:00 and they'll be gone.

Yes, they do communicate with the Sacramento office during this process and will probably experience alot of busy signals as the try to call. It is the Special Processing Unit, the same unit as YOM plates, out of the country registrations, etc...

Oh, you don't need a valid SPCN title in hand. I didn't have one, I was trying to get one for my Manx SR. Just an application for title and any other paperwork you might have.

Just my .02, YMMV,
Tom