TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How to identify a Manx
splitnrag Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:13 pm

I looked at a project today and need to know one if it's worth it and two if this is a true Meyers buggy. I didn't find any identification tags on it but it had the emblem bump on the nose. They want $1500 for the buggy but needs a lot of work, they hacked up the back of the body and some places like where the sterring wheel goes and there are some cracks but that is to be expected. The motor is a type III 1641 that runs but all the guages, windshield, brakes will need to be replaced. Also the tunnel was cut to gain access to the linkage on the passenger side of the tunnel. No title but can file for a loss title and it had gear reduction boxes. So...Need some oppinions I have taken a few pictures of it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

[/img]

bugdust Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:48 pm

I don't know much about buggies. Try a search or the manx club website.

plasticman1432 Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:49 pm

I don't see the dashboard support that Bruce came up with for his buggies, so I'll hazard a guess it's no Manx.

Based on the 'work' that was done on it, I'd also say it's not a $1500 buggy either.

buggyblues Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:13 pm

I don't think its a real manx or worth 1500 the fiberglass looks very thin its hacked all over and manx had the badge on the front and metal tag on inside with serial no. just my .02

jspbtown Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:51 pm

Looks like a fiberglass dash. If so, not an early manx for sure. manx 2 maybe?

elfoozo Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:30 pm

Read past the subscribing info and you will find tips to identify authenticity.

http://www.manxclub.com/realmanx.htm

lostinbaja Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:26 am

Not all Manx bodys came with the metal SN# tag mounted to them and not everybody put the nose badging on either so going by that alone is not the best way to ID it.

The shape of the gauge area of the dash is not consistant with the shape of a Manx dash. Is the dash ABS or fiberglass?
Here is a Manx dash:

I hope it helps,
Jerry...

splitnrag Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:17 am

I didn't touch the dash and looking at your frame this one had aluminum poles that went to the pans. There were no ID tags that I could find it was crudely put together that is for sure. I'll keep looking and see if I can find a better one for a decent price. I know I want one just have to be patient to find the right one.

plasticman1432 Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:32 pm

jspbtown wrote: manx 2 maybe?
Not a Manx 2; it has the spare tire well on the driver's side. The Manx 2 was made for the IRS suspension, so it had no welles at all in the rear.

Looking more closely at the rear body section, the thickness of the fiberglass tells me for sure it's no Manx.

Elwood-Bluesvan Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:17 pm

Nope-not a genuine Manx or Manx2 ---way too thin. And they all had a tag!!! Bruce and those to follow his supervision in producing and shipping his design and body's had a respect and code of truth and quality. PM me if you like and I will share more info.

House Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 pm

Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: And they all had a tag!!!

Negative!
Early Manxes did not come with serial numbers or serial number tags.

Elwood-Bluesvan Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:24 pm

House wrote: Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: And they all had a tag!!!

Negative!

Wow ! How early are you talking about ? and how many do you know for sure about ? Did you see "Red" in his beginnings or the " Potatoe Chip" or is it the "Patato Chip"??? Talk to me ! my name is Barb or cb handle In those early times was "Sluggo" or " Hash House" WE had a lot of fun then with the "Tupper Ware" 8)

Yellermanx Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:04 am

Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: House wrote: Elwood-Bluesvan wrote: And they all had a tag!!!

Negative!

Wow ! How early are you talking about ? and how many do you know for sure about ? Did you see "Red" in his beginnings or the " Potatoe Chip" or is it the "Patato Chip"???

I looked through my Manx registry a while back and I believe the earliest serial numbered Manxes were 68. I believe Old Red was around 64 and production of floor pan models started around 65 or 66. I may be wrong on the dates but close. Therefore anything before 68 or possibly 67 did not have a serial number I have one with a tag and one with original gelcoat that never had one.

I believe it was the "Purple Potato Chip"

mr_bill Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:26 am

My Manx is according to Bruce "the oldest pan-Manx that I have ever seen!" It was built by Roger Smith at Pepper Tree Automotive in Costa Mesa in 1965. I have personally done ALL the repairs & maintaince on this buggy since it was built. I purchased it from the original owner in 1995. this Manx has NO TAG & NO SERIAL #'s.

NO, it's NOT For Sale ! :lol:

Yellermanx Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Hey Mr Bill, Think this could be one like yours. Bear in mind it appears to have had a rough life. It looks like an ABS dash, Manx roll bar, and it looks like it had a small "tail box" like yours at one time. I cant tell from the underneath picture if it has wire tubes or not. I don't see them. Just wondering what others think.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=326136