TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: how rare is an SR?
90volts Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:32 am

I was reading a VWtrends from 2001 with an article about an SR. They said there were 300 made and there are 36 known to exist in the US? are they that rare? I seem to see a lot of them going up for sale in different states of finish.
i wonder if there has ever been any thought given to a Siggy SR? I would love one!

greg mgm Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:02 am

I dont see too many for sale locally, but its a cool car. On the Manx Big Bear run last July, one guy had one out on the trails. The SR was lifted approx 3" and had a great sounding corvair engine in it. Very nice!!

manxsr Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:40 pm

Lots of info on SR's here.

http://www.manxsr.com/

Jerry

Letterman7 Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:56 pm

Reports vary widely of how many were made. I've read everywhere from 10 to 100 for the original ones by Meyers, and the SR2 by Karma / Heartland Glassworks possibly 500 or more. I don't even think Bruce Meyers knows for sure how many were produced - I'm just glad I found one that's an original and not a SR2, though that would have been ok. It's just nice to say 'yeah, it's a real one!'

Rick

Flat4Tom Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:40 pm

Letterman7 wrote: Reports vary widely of how many were made. I've read everywhere from 10 to 100 for the original ones by Meyers, and the SR2 by Karma / Heartland Glassworks possibly 500 or more. I don't even think Bruce Meyers knows for sure how many were produced - I'm just glad I found one that's an original and not a SR2, though that would have been ok. It's just nice to say 'yeah, it's a real one!'

Rick

"It's a real one"...?? :x They're all 'real' ones as they were all made from the same molds. Parts interchange between all manufacturers. I have a Karma SR2 number 75. Rumor has it that there were less than 100 produced by Karma, at least I've never heard of one with a serial number over 100. The Manx club considers SR2's to be 'Real' ones. They even ask if your SR is a SR2 on their membership app.

I seriously doubt that there are even more then 200 total SR's in existance today - truly a rare bird regardless of who manufactured it.

Regards,
Tom

Letterman7 Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:34 am

Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, Tom. Even though the 2 was produced from the same molds, it wasn't under Meyers' business, so to me, it's a clone. Much like taking a stock '70 Cuda with a 383 and dropping in a Hemi with a six pack. Then yes, it is a Hemi Cuda, but it's not original! But I'm splitting hairs...yes, they are relatively rare despite who made them. So let's keep 'em up and running for all to enjoy!

Rick

GeorgeL Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:37 am

Letterman7 wrote: Didn't mean to ruffle feathers, Tom. Even though the 2 was produced from the same molds, it wasn't under Meyers' business, so to me, it's a clone. Much like taking a stock '70 Cuda with a 383 and dropping in a Hemi with a six pack. Then yes, it is a Hemi Cuda, but it's not original! But I'm splitting hairs...yes, they are relatively rare despite who made them. So let's keep 'em up and running for all to enjoy!

Rick

So, would Manx's produced while Bruce Meyers was away on vacation count as "genuine"? He wasn't minding the business! :)