TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Folding the top survey
HMVWNAB Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 am

Do you prefer to accordian the top in the down position as shown in the Thing manual or do the Thing Shop roll it up technique? Pros and cons? Con for the Thing shop method: more time consuming to put back up when the rain starts and you are out and about.

Woreign Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:31 am

I fold the top down according to the Thing owner's manual.

However, it interesting to see it folded both ways in the VW brochures:

Here it is "folded":

Here it is "rolled":

So which is the right way???

HMVWNAB Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:56 am

Cool scans. Didn't realize that the brochures showed both ways. I do the roll with a boot, so it's an operation to go top up if you get caught in the rain. 99% of the time my top stays buttoned down 'cause it's parked in the garage.

s_wypych Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:42 am

I have both a hard top and a soft top so of course it depends on the time of year as to which one I have on. I used to do the accordian method but when it is was not on the car I accidentally ripped the top when moving it. I think in this situation that the Thing Shop method would have been a little safer. When I purchased my Thing (would you believe I found it at a dealership in 1993 - it was a trade in) they only showed me the accordian style and I only found out about the Thing Shop method after it ripped.
But as far as when it is on the car I depends on the weather as to which way I go. If it looks like rain is a possibility I do the accordian style so that it is faster in getting it up if necessary. But I do prefer the folding the top method.

markie61 Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:14 am

Can anyone post pics or step-by-step of the "Thing Shop method"?

TIA,
Mark

radioman Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:04 pm

I am with Mark. Everytime I drop my top I seem to fold, roll, or wad the top a different way. Mostly it looks like crap with edges handing out the sides. Is there a good way??? Help. :D

HMVWNAB Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:39 pm

Don't have the video, but here goes.

The Thing shop method is done with two people. You pull the top out flat from the rear of the car so that it is like a flat sheet, one person on each rear corner.

You fold the driver and passenger sides of the top inward where it creases as flat as possible.

They suggest that you put a beach towel or some soft cloth on the inside of the window so it won't get scratched by the hooks, or whatever.

You and your partner begin to roll up the top towards the front of the car at the same pace, making as tight a roll as possible.

You should have a nice burrito when you reach the top frame. If you did it correctly, you can actually stuff the top inside the car. No more flapping with the top down at highway speed.

The Thing shop has a video of their inventory with the top folding demo that they used to send for free when you bought something from them. Don't know if they still do.

bciesq Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:37 am

HMVWNAB wrote: The Thing shop method is done with two people.

It's possible to do the burrito roll with one person. Granted, I'm 6'4" with a 36" sleeve so it may not be easy for everyone, but it's possible nonetheless.

Couple of other points:

1. The burrito flaps around much less (i.e., not at al) as compared to the accordion at highway speeds.

2. The "official" method is actually a combination of the two: the clips are removed on the sides (not the rear however) and instead of rolling, the top is folded so that the final fold wraps around the frame. Here is a scan that I found somewhere:

I tried the official method a couple of times, but I could never get to the point where it was as stable at highway speeds as the burrito. Besides, the burrito with a towel should be just as gentle on the rear window and is easier to perform IMHO.

Just my two cents.

Towel Rail Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:48 pm

I do mine the Wrong Way. My frame is already as warped as it'll get, so I'm saving up for a Thing Shop-rebuilt...

chinarider Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:56 am

I do it Thing Shop style. I'm about average build and can do it by myself. I prefer this method over accordion style for the reasons already stated, but agree that if you're out when there's a chance of rain, the accordion might make life a little easier.

fisheye Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Accordian only for me.. Fast and easy to take down and put up. I just drop it down and go. No straps etc..

dixonmanor Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Lately, I've been rocking it accordian style, as I'm on the road by myself and it's just way easier (and faster- the sudden rainstorm I got caught in in NC coulda been a LOT worse if I didn't get the top up as fast as I did- I had records in the back seat!).

I do have a boot, and use that when I'm in Portland and there's always someone around to help with it. Also- I like the aesthetic of the boot a little better.

To combat flapping at highway speeds, I bought a pair of tie-down straps that I hook to the custom lock-box that sits behind my rear seat and the rear tire carrier bars in the rear. Works pretty well, but are there "stock" tie-downs, like the ones pictured in that VW brochure?