TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: V8 powered bug Page: 1, 2  Next
zwsmith2000 Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:14 pm

I've seen this before, but don't understand. How do you mount a V8 engine in the rear of a Bug.

Twiggy Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:13 pm

Lots of beer, rednecks, sawzal, welder and a lot of hacking.

Barry32 Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:18 pm

The one I've seen, which was at a Spring Meet at the Puyallup Fair Grounds, in Washington State, was mounted up front... (Sorry, can't find a pic, right now)

71_transporter Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Heres one i had on my computer...

Yellowbeard Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:14 pm

The only 'rear-engine' V8 bugs I've ever seen were actually mid-engine setups with the V8 where the back seat ought to be, linked to a detroit tranny and Ford 9-inch reaer end. An extremely expensive gimmick. Wadda ya want one for?

itsonlysir Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 pm

just think about the amout of beafed up supention he has in that thing , but i bet its a blast to drive .

WD-40 Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:27 pm

So why exactly do you want a 10/90 weight distribution??

- David

Oakley Diesel Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:41 pm

their is one in the classifieds for 58 up but the sale was pending

SeVVenth Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 pm

they sell LS1 kits for sand rails don't they? Just cut the apron out and put one of those in there.

cynic Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:20 pm

It's not a bug, but it's still the best V-8 Conversion I've seen.

grimace007 Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

SeVVenth Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:36 am

I will have to say that that is definitely THE coolest bus I have ever seen. If it wasn't for sound and the large pipes sticking out the side it would be the best sleeper ever. Happen to know any figures for it?

focuszx3r Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:44 am

Wow that Bus is sick

Mr. Loaf Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:45 am

Saw a bug once with the V-8 in the front. You drove the bug from the back seat. Transmission sat under the dash. I think they used a tube frame and bolted the bug body to it. Also have seen a 914 Porsche with a super charged V-8 in the rear. Engine sat higher than the roof of the car. The Porsche used a GM Tornado turn around transmission.

jackjr Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:02 am

cynic wrote: It's not a bug, but it's still the best V-8 Conversion I've seen.

That bus actually resides in Erie, PA now. (Or one that looks EXACTLY like it). I've seen it up close and it's an amazing work of art. The chassis looks to be completely hand made (not a bus frame at all anymore) and it sounds A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Matt K. Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:21 pm

We have a guy that used to street race years ago a V-8 powered bug. It was set up on a tube chassis, big block chevy, two speed power glide with a narrowed ford 9" with 14-32 slicks. That car was impressive, it left hard on the street but on the top end it got a little squirrely. The seat sat back and he looked out through the quarter windows.

Lidpainter Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:18 pm

There was a kit commercially available to transplant a 455 and transaxle out of the old front wheel drive Olds Toronados into a Bug. I had seen one once and it was just ridiculous. Too much power, too much weight on the rear end. I would imagine that it would would be difficult NOT to do a wheelie everytime you hit the gas.

vwguru Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:16 pm

howdy, & yes i have that , &
the BEST is all alluminum 215
V8....., using bug tranny , etc.
all VW , xcept eng......& only about
50 pounds more than a bug eng. &
4 times HP & torque......1800 pounds weight. :lol:
& unlike V8 versions in front , where
nothing vw, xcept BODY....!!
& practically sit in back seat to drive :roll:

Desertbusman Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Here's a local bug that is of such fine quality and workmanship it's almost unbelievable. I'm sure it's at least a $100K plus ride. A very radical engine that is probably somewhere in the 500 HP range. The ground shakes :lol: The cool thing is that it looks pretty much like any real extra super fine Cal Looker. No cooling holes or visable inlets in the front. But it's so well engineered that it runs cool in our Arizona heat.

bugnut68 Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

tom landock jr. wrote: howdy, & yes i have that , &
the BEST is all alluminum 215
V8....., using bug tranny , etc.
all VW , xcept eng......& only about
50 pounds more than a bug eng. &
4 times HP & torque......1800 pounds weight. :lol:
& unlike V8 versions in front , where
nothing vw, xcept BODY....!!
& practically sit in back seat to drive :roll:

That looks absolutely ridiculous. My comment may come across as rude (I'm not a fan of V8 conversions into VWs, it's nothing personal) but this is, after all, a VW site.