TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who's got a wood floor? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
tsombrero1 Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:26 am

I do!

Cost under $50, one box of Pergo is just enough to cover the floor of a Westy. It did require some table saw finessing.

This stuff is TOUGH. My power staple gun can barely penetrate the surface... I think it would be difficult to scratch. Add a nice throw-rug and some anti-slip stuff and you're golden!

Sure beats the gray rubber stuff that was in there before. With the underlayment the new floor is about 1/16" thicker. There are no issues with any of the cabinets or anything, except that I was sloppy and forgot which screws go where...

psych-illogical Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:27 am

Very nice. I often think about doing the same thing.

kevinbassplayer Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:14 am

How timely, I just did this on mine on Sunday! I think it looks awesome and easy to care for. I put mine in while all my cabinets were out which made it super simple, 1 box did it all. You could easily put this in without taking anything out.

cnskate Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:56 am

I did the same thing a year ago. After all the dirt and spilled food I have so easily cleaned off of it I couldn't imagine having carpet there. I do wonder if it amplifies road noise though. I would be interested to hear your opinion about the noise after just installing pergo.

tsombrero1 Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:56 am

All the cool kids are doing it!

I haven't noticed any difference in road noise, for what it's worth.

Mad-Max Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:36 pm

are u going to put something over the lip, or does anyone have any tips on what to put over it? Sanding it...down possibly?

tsombrero1 Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 pm

Mad-Max wrote: are u going to put something over the lip, or does anyone have any tips on what to put over it? Sanding it...down possibly?

I still need to reinstall the OE step-plate hardware... it'll fit the same way as before. As you can see, the interior is a work in progress...

danfromsyr Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:45 pm

on the wood floor I put in my syncro semi-camper/weekender I put an aluminum threshhold strip across it that allowed me to recess an opera rope light from a junkyard american conversion van.. hooked wires to door slider pin, and now have a very nice subtle lighted edge when the door is open in the dark.

looks good.. and everyone should do it.. but pets don't like it for riding on while moving.

dan

msinabottle Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:50 pm

Nick the P.O. did it, I don't know if he insulated under it or what else he did. He supported his climbing habit by working as a jobs contractor. It looks very nice, I wash it with Simple Green and then put on Paste Wax, at which times it functions quite well as a skating rink. I also put a half-rug with a non-slip pad under it just in front of the bench.

Winston's my '84 Westy. There are a lot more pictures of his interior in the Gallery.

Best!

lovedavdubs Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I got mine from Ikea. This was a pic of the floor in progress. The edge terminates like MS' now. :wink:

crukab Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Yea, I got WOOD !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

scottcollins72 Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 pm

:shock: I want your lumber pile! :shock: We've got wood too:

vwjedi Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:10 am

I did in my splittie. Don't let water stand on it or atleast not get between the seams and sit, it will swell up like a sponge. :cry:

backcountrymedic Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:57 am

Why do you guys do this to me! Now I have ANOTHER project I wanna do! Sheesh...

psych-illogical Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:26 pm

crukab wrote: Yea, I got WOOD !!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So,what year's the splittie in the background?

lovedavdubs Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:33 pm

backcountrymedic wrote: Why do you guys do this to me! Now I have ANOTHER project I wanna do! Sheesh...

:lol: My wife is always telling me that the Samba is a bad influence.

Sorrys2Cliche Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:29 pm

I am in the process of finishing this in my 84 Vanagon GL. I got the 1/4" laminate and its working out swimmingly, even with the door. Ill include photos tomorow.

?Waldo? Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:46 pm

Being that my current profession is actually hard wood floors, and for the sake of being nitpicky, I would mention that if you installed Pergo (or any other "laminate" flooring), you actually DON'T have wood. You have a photo of wood impregnated into a layer of very hard plastic (formica) and glued to a particle board backing. Although the particle board backing is largely made of cellulose/wood particles, I'd be hard pressed (pardon the pun) to call it wood. Nice looking photo of wood on the floor of your van, though... :P

Those are wood. :wink:

Pardon the poor photography/JPEG condensation. :oops:

Andrew

tom power Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:13 am

I put in a vinyl wood look alike floor. It comes in strips of 3X30 inches. Just cut to length pull off backing, & sick it down. It's been in there all season and has had everything spilled on it, no problems. Just wipe it up, and clean w/ a damp cloth. :D

danfromsyr Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:53 am

MY WOOD is FOAM RUBBER :oops:
I'll try to remember to snap some images..

I just installed a FOAM PARQUET flooring.. (think anti-fatigue puzzle mats)
it's printed to resemble a wood parquet floor and is VERY easy on the knees. it is a little more susceptible to damage then a hard wood floor. but I remove it and stack the pieces in a box when not taking it camping.
the door edging I made from 1/2" alum C-channel from HD/LOWES that is secured w/3 screws, easily removed when the foam flooring is out.

it wouldn't be dog friendly though. well maybe with a small dog, not my 100# mules. pieces are easily replaceable if damaged, as they just popout along the puzzled edges.

it was available @ christmas tree shops and was about $35. about the same as the pergo knock off I put in mom's van.

for the typical 1000 times a weekend I kneel on the floor to get somthing w/o removing my shoes it's great..