TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Four Season? Page: 1, 2  Next
bmwloco Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:20 pm

It's a bit slow around here. So, I'll ask this pressing question:

Who uses their Thing Year Round? In snow? Garage pampered or does it sit outside?

bciesq Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:33 pm

Year round, everyday car.

Of course, I live in Florida and park in a garage at work, so my path is easier than others.

Towel Rail Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:18 pm

Mine was a winter driver for many years. It shows.

Once I've replaced all of the rust with solid metal, and throroughly rust-proofed it, it will never EVER ever ever touch salt again.

Ever.

n0limdon Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:19 pm

I drive mine in the winter and year around.I don't drive when it gets extremely cold as mine is a 74 (not much heat) I sometimes help heat it with a Mr Buddy Propane heater. NE Iowa, just a few miles off the Mn. border. I have plastic roof cement on the underside of the pans and the snow and salt doesn't seem to bother it so far. The main problem is keeping the windshiield clear. I installed a small DC fan on the "grab handle" with power from cig lighter, seems to help some. I've always wondered how a 73 with a good working gas heater would do when it is 10 - 20 below and a stiff wind making a wind chill of 40 below or so???
You may have seen my pics on the TDTA site in the snow.

Towel Rail Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:24 pm

Gasoline heaters kick ass. My '74 had a Stewart-Warner (PO install) when I got it. A real dragon, but it only worked when it was ultra-cold out!

n0limdon Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:00 am

Towel head are you in Cedar Rapids? I'am in Cresco.

n0limdon Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:01 am

Oooooooooooops towel rail!!

Towel Rail Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:34 am

LOL I'm most definitely *not* a towel head: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/201294.jpg

Yeah, I know where Cresco is! I used to pass it all the time on the way to Luther. :)

Big Luni Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 am

Mine was a year-round Northeast Daily Driver from '74 to 2000, with major bodywork (Floors, rockers, fenders etc. replaced) in 1994, and again in 2004 (no major replacements this time, just various rot repairs and rustproofing). It was dormant from 2000 to 2004 until I could get the last round of repair work done. Now I garage it winters and only drive weekends for the rest of the year. I'd drive it more, but I have a long highway commute and would rather put the miles on my '06 Chevy HHR, which I don't really give two sh*ts about.

bucko Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:14 am

It's politically incorrect to refer to folks as towel heads. The proper term is "little sheet heads" now.

kubelmann Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:45 pm

While in Colorado we prefer the kinder gentler term "Cowboy curtain fabric head"

bmwloco Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks for hijacking the posts.

More to the point, it's about Things in Winter. Yes or No?

Ian Epperson Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:28 pm

bmwloco wrote: It's about Things in Winter. Yes or No?

Like bciesq, I simply prefer not to live in a climate where I can't drive my Thing in the winter. :D

Summer:
95°

Winter:
65°

kubelmann Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:28 pm

Sorry... I was trying to join into the humor. I am working on getting proper heat in both things to allow winter driving. K-mann

Woreign Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:24 pm

I've only owned my Thing for 4 months, but I do plan on driving it year-round. So far the heater has worked for short test periods, hopefully it will hold up to winter use. I also need to get my hard top refinished before it gets too cold.

Captain Spalding Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:39 pm

I'll never let my Thing see a salted road, but I have no qualms about driving all year round in any weather. There's something rugged and adventurous about driving in the rain with side curtains (and disk brakes!) With the side curtains on and the gas heater alight, it's so toasty inside that I'm breaking a sweat. On dry but crisp days, I leave the front curtains off, keep the heater blazing, and supply my girls in the back seat with a 12 volt electric blanket. Everyone is comfy-cozy that way.

I have garage space for one car. The Thing gets it, even though, monetarily speaking, it is the least valuable of the cars. My rationalization to the wife is that since it is a convertible, the weather will do it more damage. As long as I keep her car washed and waxed, she's perfectly okay with it.

Woreign wrote: I've only owned my Thing for 4 months, but I do plan on driving it year-round. So far the heater has worked for short test periods, hopefully it will hold up to winter use.
Warren, the best thing you can do for your heater is excercise it periodically. I fire mine up every two weeks or so - even on hot days. I'll start it up on my way home, when I'm about ten minutes from the house. There are those who are uncomfortable with the thought of a gasoline-fired furnace under the hood. But the BN4 is awesome. It pumps out a whopping 16000 btu/hr. When Jack Frost is nipping at your nose, you will be delighted with your gas heater.

lukesky Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:02 pm

For those of you who garage them (like I plan to), what do you do to prep them for storage? Sta-bil in the gas? Take the battery out? Moth balls? shrink wrap? A nice blanket and a cup of cocoa before bed?

My dad always stored his before he let me keep it, but the battery never lasted. He always took it out, but the store that made all the money selling him batteries said that they need to be charged on a trickle charger once a month.

Thoughts? Ideas? Unfortunately, the time is getting close... :cry:

P'ville'74Thing Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:48 am

I plan to put the hard top on before the end of the month and drive it all winter. It has been my daily driver since spring and I want to make it the whole year. I don't have to worry about salt here on the west coast.

keith808 Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 pm

I live in Hawaii. I get to drive my Thing in nothing but perfect weather all year. Top down or up. Windshield down or up. Windows in or out. I always have it good. What you guys did not know Hawaii is the best place to drive a Thing. But the freakin worse is if you ever need a part. So you get the good with the bad.

K

thealamo1013 Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:43 pm

yep, mine's a winter driver.

mostly because i'm a youngin', and can't afford a different car for the winter months.

the lack of heat is manageable with a nice jacket.