TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Automatic (sacrilege) Buggy
John_w Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:05 am

Hi all, newbie here.
I am a paraplegic so I drive with hand controls which means it gets way too busy to use a clutch so an automatic trans is preferred. I have a Type III automatic I bought from a VW shop guy. I also have the drive shafts, rear hubs & brakes, and the triangular rear subframe. I know the trans will not fit between the stock frame horns of a Type I.
Now the questions –
1. Anybody out there done an automatic buggy?
2. Is it possible to cut the horns off and fab a replacement trans mount?
3. Any thoughts on which buggy(s) might lend themselves to this sort of conversion?
Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, John

kit.car Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:49 am

I saw this one a the Carlisle 2005 show, he was from the great white north. He built it for his daughter who had some physical disabilities. Auto-stick and tube bars on the sides so she could climb in.

Might want to read through this thred too:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114696

John_w Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:47 pm

Interesting. Coming from a weelchair a "regular tub" buggy will actually be easier to get into. The Autostick is an option. It will fit in the bug horns. as the case is similar to the standard transakle. The fully automatic is in a bigger, more boxlike case. The local word is the automatic makes a better car.

Lo Cash John Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:21 pm

You can make either one work. It'll just take some fabrication.

Good luck!!

GDRBO Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:16 pm

I have a t-2 auto in my (as yet unfinished) buggy. It has pan with the horns shortened to the E-brake cable tubes and slimmed from there to the torsion tube. The carved out part was reinforced with some Honda hood sheetmetal. Mounts and the rollcage were fabed to mount the trans like it mounted in the bus originally.

John_w Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 pm

Sounds cool - can you post some pics?

aquamanx Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Talk to Neil at http://www.hawkeyebuggies.com/ He has built several buggys with autos.

MURZI Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:38 pm

I second what Chris said. Talk to Neil at Hawkeye buggies. Super guy!!! He even makes a buggy with ultra low sides called the F1, which would be ideal for transferring.

The F1:
http://www.texasmanxclub.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1239

Danman Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:39 am

I have auto -stick in my daily driver buggy...No problem with it at all..You can find lots of parts for them as no really likes them..Mine came with the 68 bug I wrecked ..Off road is little tricky but on the street is the same or better than a standard...My 2 cents Dan

John_w Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks everybody,

Guess I need to go find an old type I for a torsion and VIN. The next questions will probably stir things up - which is the best to use - swing arm or IRS?

Thanks,
John

kit.car Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:53 am

John_w wrote: Thanks everybody,

Guess I need to go find an old type I for a torsion and VIN. The next questions will probably stir things up - which is the best to use - swing arm or IRS?

Thanks,
John

I have a project buggy for sale in the classified section up here in Nothern VA...

GDRBO Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:34 am

Since all autos as well as autosticks came in IRS chassis that would be the easiest starting point.

plasticman1432 Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:08 pm

kit.car wrote: I saw this one a the Carlisle 2005 show, he was from the great white north. He built it for his daughter who had some physical disabilities. Auto-stick and tube bars on the sides so she could climb in.

Is that an AutoStick? By the shape of the shifter gate, I'd think it's a full auto like a Type 2 or 3. A full auto Type 3 could be a good donor, as it was IRS; I was considering that swap for my wife's buggy.

Either way you slice it, building an automatic buggy so that someone with limited abilities can enjoy it is far from sacrilege.

Dougiebugs Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:49 pm

I have a fully automatic trike that was built by a guy in Vermont....it's the greatest.

John_w Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 am

I'm gonna go for it with my automatic. I'm working on buying a project to start from now. I'll keep you guys posted while I'm asking for technical help!

Plasticman1432, you are right. That does look like an automatic shifter not an autostick. My bad.

John