TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: First ride today...finally!
Iceboat711 Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:10 pm

Today, after a year of working on it, I took the buggy out for the first ride around the block.

I just wanted to see if everythig worked. Some minor problems to sort out. The most annoying one was the steering column had too much movement in it at the dashboard end. I need to fabricate a clamp to mount it solid to the dash.

Also, even though I had it running in the garage numerous times, it wouldn't idle well on the road and it sounded terrible. I went around and tightened all the exhaust bolts, that helped the sound. I found two vacuum leaks that I plugged in the carb, tightened the carb to manifold bolts and adjusted the setting on the carb. It seems to be idling fine now.

That masking tape on the hood is where I have to fix another problem I cut the hole in the hood before I painted it and the gas filler fit great..without the hose on it. After I mounted the hood yeaterday I realized I didn't allow clearance for the hose from the filler to the tank so now I have to enlarge the hole by a 1/2 inch.

All of those problems seem minor compared to the thrill of the first ride.

bgs Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Very nice and pretty color. It was a blast on the
maiden voyage wasn't it..

Balboaislandbob Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:44 pm

yep, I had the same experience, bouncy ride, bouncy steering column. These babies look so cool that you think they will float, not!. You get used to it. Lower your tire pressure way down.

I love mine. Use it as my around town vehicle.

The young boys are the best. I had one today. He couldn't believe his eyes. Stared confounded. Mouth wide open, the a grin from ear to ear.

GREEN BUGGIES RULE!

Iceboat711 Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Yes, it was a bouncy ride. How low would you go with the tire pressures?

ridinthedune Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:58 pm

I ran mine about 15 pounds.....seems low, I know, but it was a nice ride and never had any problems, wouldn't recommend racing around corners though.

rick.d.brown Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:15 am

12 psi in the front 16 psi in the rear :)

EZGZ Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:48 am

That first ride is one of the best. The feeling of actually being part of the creation of something like this is indescribable.

If you expect them to ride like a new Honda it ain't gonna happen but the other benefits are worth it.

I run my tires much lower than you folks. I won't admit what it is but lets just say I watch until the sidewalls start to bulge. Then I make a wet spot on the driveway and drive threw it and look at the pattern on the dry pavement. If it is full and even thats good for me.

I drive very hard and have never blown a bead yet. I do carry a little 12volt compressor though. (just in case) 8)

I had the same issue with the steering column. I decided to build a front roll bar as well as the rear. I ran a 1inch bar down low and in front of the dash and used a muffler clamp to secure the round tube on the stock column.

When I built my new Manx rep. I used the same concept. I used the cage to secure everything. The switches, windshield, steering. I made it a little higher so I could carry my kayak or a storage box on the roof and added the hoop around back so I would always have something to tie to.

Iowa Mark Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:42 am

Chubby Time!! :lol:

tgodber Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:45 pm

I have gone for a few drives and my windshield and steering column are very solid. I don't think that a single bar and clamp are enough to tie everything together solid. Even over washboard on a gravel road things were solid. My dash frame extends down the sides and ties into the foorpan.

tgodber Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:50 pm

Your buggy looks great by the way. I love the color. I have my tire pressure at 12 front and 15 rear. You can feel the tires give a little when you hit bumps on the paved roads. I am quite happy with the ride considering everything.