TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear seat pictures and seatbelt mounting
rider307g Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:17 am

Anybody have any good pics of the rear seat? Also, as far as mounting seat belts, any suggestions, like large fender washers on the back side or do I need to run a bar across the rear and weld it to the frame?

manxdavid Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:35 am

Here's my Manx's rear seat, made from 3/8" ply with 1" foam sewn into vynil cover, wrapped around and stapled...

Seat belt would need steel frame braced to chassis.

rider307g Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:11 am

Thanks, that is a great looking seat. I also like the color of the car. Probably the color I am doing mine.

manxdavid Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:59 pm

rider307g wrote: Thanks, that is a great looking seat. I also like the color of the car. Probably the color I am doing mine.

Thanx for the kind words. The color is gel-coat tangerine. The car is currently in bits awaiting a rebuild 'cause I just built a new one; Metalflake chartreuse and no back seat!!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6d910b3127cce8b98f25aade100000016109AaOGLNu2aG

Dave.

90volts Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:21 pm

extra support for the buggy and a solid mount for the belts.mounted to the frame.

EMPIImp69 Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:43 am

What's the best way to make the template for the backrest for the backseat? A piece of posterboard and butt it up to the back area and trace away? :?: I have no backseat to trace off of, thx.

Frontloader Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:25 am

For a template, that would be one way to do it. It would get you close.

Cut out the rough template and set it inside against the back to see how close it is and then trim away. You only need one side as it can be flipped to make the other side.

Template needs at least 1/4" space on each side. You don't want a tight fit because of the material and foam to be attached. 3/8 or even 1/2" may be better as the back does not need to touch the sides.

If the back is going to be bolted in, then it does not need to touch the bottom either. There can be a couple of inches of space between the back and bottom seat when it is in place. Leaves room for the seat belts to come thru without problems.