TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hey Murzi and Jerry
Yellermanx Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:19 pm

Since both of you guys have experience with this kind of cage. Do you know if or do you think the cage will come out with the hood/dash in place. I want to use the full length plate like Murzi's, but I really want to extend the plate and bars up to the front as on Jerry's. I kind of doubt it will, but I have to ask.

Thanks

MURZI Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:50 pm

Mine would. You would just have to lift the rear first. My cage did not extend as far front as Jerry's though.

The plate idea, although not my idea(hawkeye buggies) is a grand one and if I do another car :roll: it will be part of the build. Also don't forget your seat belt mounts before painting/powdercoating.

lostinbaja Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:55 pm

I think the cage I built for my sister's red Berrien buggy will come out of the buggy with the dash in place. At least I know it will go in with the dash in place :roll:
To install it, I put a motorcycle sized ratchet strap across the bottom of the hoop and pulled the legs together a bit so it wouldn't scratch anything when setting it in place.
Jerry...

Lo Cash John Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:15 pm

MURZI wrote: don't forget your seat belt mounts before painting/powdercoating.

Dooh!! ](*,)

Yellermanx Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:35 pm

Thanks Guys, That's what I wanted to hear. :D

tgodber Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:24 pm

With this style of cage, how are the rear angle supports attached. It has a square plate. Is it just bolted thru the glass to another plate or is it tied into the engine cage or???

Yellermanx Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:56 pm

tgodber wrote: With this style of cage, how are the rear angle supports attached. It has a square plate. Is it just bolted thru the glass to another plate or is it tied into the engine cage or???

Yes

lostinbaja Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:07 pm

If you were to sandwich the fiberglass between 2 plates it would be plenty strong. If you tie the kickers into the rear cage/bumper it does nothing but make it better/stronger. Not to mention it would make the chassis much more rigid.
Jerry...

Lo Cash John Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:50 pm

lostinbaja wrote: If you were to sandwich the fiberglass between 2 plates it would be plenty strong. If you tie the kickers into the rear cage/bumper it does nothing but make it better/stronger. Not to mention it would make the chassis much more rigid.
Jerry...

What he said.