TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Header bow question
emersonbiggins Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:15 pm

My header bow had some dents in it when I bought the top so I did some straightening. I added a flat piece of metal to the inside to cover some repair and now it seems like the header bow is heavy. Anybody ever have a similar situation? Or was the Thing top not designed to be put up and down by one person.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=310580

bucko Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:20 am

The instructions in the so called owners manual do show and state a two person job. I have done it though while centered in the car, grasping the senter of the front bow and lifting back to the rear.

kubelmann Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Arda at German Motor Works taught me to use Fiberglass to overhaul the header. It is a better choice... I put my soft top up and down alone all the time. When I grow up I will have a place indoors to store a Thing that will have no top or side curtains and be a fair weather ride...

surferdudedav Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:47 pm

kubelmann wrote: Arda at German Motor Works taught me to use Fiberglass to overhaul the header. It is a better choice... I put my soft top up and down alone all the time. When I grow up I will have a place indoors to store a Thing that will have no top or side curtains and be a fair weather ride...

details, im interested