TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manx clone // which tail lights fit?
fiberbug Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:35 pm

Im building a manx clone. I ordered repro '69 beetle tailights.

They're too big. I've attached a photo of my fiberglass tub.
The tailights are a little longer than the surface area.
I like the look of the stock beetle tailights.

I know these molds vary a lot, but can someone with a tub that looks like this tell me what year lights fit on theirs?

Appreciate any help.

UncleBob Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:39 pm

69 are 'Tombstone' type.

I like the '65, '66, '67 lights, personally.

p.s. Nice Flake!!

fiberbug Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:54 pm

Thanks. Those seem fit perfectly.

HamburgerBrad Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:19 pm

UncleBob wrote: 69 are 'Tombstone' type.

I like the '65, '66, '67 lights, personally.
62-67?

Yellermanx Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:24 pm

What color is that? Me likes. Do you know what size flake?
Thanks

takotruckin Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:52 pm

Yellermanx wrote: Do you know what size flake?

i think somewhere between "dime" and "nickel"

it sure is sparkly

fiberbug Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 pm

not sure what size the flake is.

It's a royal blue color. Steve Savage from Super Sport in Georgia made it.

He does really nice work.

Genom Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:32 pm

fiberbug wrote: He does really nice work.

Yeah, you think?

I've got a good mind to pack up my Ocelot body and trailer it down to him when the time is right.

Got any closeups of the body? That metalflake is intense.

Yellermanx Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:43 pm

fiberbug wrote: It's a royal blue color. Steve Savage from Super Sport in Georgia made it.

He does really nice work.

I'm glad to hear that it's royal blue. That is the color I want to do my buggy. Here are my experiments with Royal Blue .015 flake. I've heard their bodies are nice, however I haven't seen one in person.

Iceboat711 Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:51 pm

I have the same lights but left the metal housing off and mounted them right to the body.

I just cut the body to match the opening in the metal housing. Then mounted them with the two screws. Works great.

Genom Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 pm

I have the same ('62-'67) style tail lights on my Ocelot, also mounted without the base housing.

plasticman1432 Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am

There are '62-67 lights on mine too, and they fit the space well, although I can't take credit for putitng them there....it was built 2 years before I was born. :lol: I did add new seals and amber-topped lenses a couple of seasons ago, however.

manxdavid Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:58 am

I used those lights too...

EMPIImp69 Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:36 am

I am using these same aftermarket 62-67 amber/red tail lens' with the housings and chrome bezels but the screw holes won't line up. They are off slightly, I am using the original screws that came with the all red original lenses..is there any trick to getting them on? I can only get one screw in on each lens :roll: ..thx.

plasticman1432 Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:18 am

I had the same problem with the aftermarket lenses I put on mine; I hogged out the recesses in the lenses ever so slightly with a cylinder-shaped milling bit in my Dremel tool, and they worked fine after that.

EMPIImp69 Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 am

oh ok cool thx Plasticman

Zcarnut Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:07 pm

Someone already setup the tails on my project,but I think it looks pretty cool.Its just standard round tails like what you would use for a trailer and cut PCV pipe.
Oh and your paint job is drop dead gorgeous! :D

247vws Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:13 am

That isn't a paint job.
That flake is in the gelcoat.
Steve is one of the only manufacturers out there building NEW bodies
in metalflake colors.

http://www.dunebuggybody.com/

He is the East Coast source. Out west the only one I have seen is Vegas Buggies. Berrien offers different models but only does solid color gelcoat.

http://vegasbuggies.com/

John

coffinator Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:39 pm

man that oriental blue is sexy.

and about the lights i like them when the base is molded into the body. it would be hard for you to do this late in the game. i would have that color matched in paint and paint the housings. i would run the blood red lens or the clear one. i like to be different. i personally would go clear.