TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 73 with Earmuffs?
Patmus Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Guys,
My 73' Thing has scoops ,which look like the remains of hacked earmuffs, over trapaziod shaped holes where, I guess, the rear louvers are supposed to be. Could it be that my 73' originally had earmuffs or is it more likely that someone hacked out my louvers and attached some sort of aftermarket scoops?

Thanks,
-Pat

Ferretkona Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:40 am

Several thoughts.

74 steel earmuffs on a 73
aftermarket fiberglass earmuffs on a 73
74 body with a 73 title

Video Bob Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 am

I bought a 74 Acapulca that had wide fiberglass rear fenders and fiberglass scoops replacing the muffs. It also had a gas heater in addition to std hot air. The scoops were bolted on instead of pop rivets.

n0limdon Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:09 am

VideoBob - Your THING sounds like something I would need here in NE Iowa for wintertime driving, gas heater and regular 74 heat. Even then I wonder if I could keep the windshield clear.

Patmus Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:28 am

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of your input so far. Here is more info. The holes covered by the scoops have a wide mesh screen inserted in them to keep debris from entering the engine compartment. Is this stock VW or a clue that my Thing has been hacked? Also, the scoops themselves are made of steel and are attached with sheetmetal screws. The car's history is unknown to me but from what I have been told and seen, the car was at one time completely disassembled (pan off) and may have been Frankenstiened back together. Any subtle clues I should look for to see if my body is really a 74'?
-Pat

markie61 Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:05 am

Patmus wrote: Any subtle clues I should look for to see if my body is really a 74'?

Does the VIN on the chassis tunnel (under the back seat by the shifter coupler access panel) match the VINs on the body (by the front hood latch and on door post in between front and rear driver's side doors?

If they are different, clearly the body and chassis came from two different automobiles. I'll bet the title is for the chassis VIN that they don't match. Generally VINs that begin 183 are 73s and 184 are 74s.

Mark

Patmus Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:47 pm

The Vin# match and they start with 183

-Pat

Ferretkona Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Where does the mirrors mount?

Patmus Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi Ferretkona,
The side view mirrors mount in factory made holes just behind and a bit above the upper hinges of both front doors.

Thanks for your input everyone!

-Pat

Ferretkona Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:46 pm

The mirror mounts and the scoops really make me think you have a 74 body.

Patmus Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:31 pm

could a late year 73' have some of the features of a 74' ?

-Pat

suntour Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:03 am

I have my doubts you have a 73’ body. The mirror mounts and trapezoid holes tell me it is a 74’. Does your car have a gas heater or fresh air heat? If you do have a gas heater, do the holes that lead into the passenger cabin look clean and perfectly circular or cut out by a jig saw or hole cutter? Is there a fresh air intake for the heater inside you driver side front wheel well? Do you have a temperature knob for the heater on your left hand side near the latch for your windshield?

If your pan has a vin# 183-blah-blah-blah it isn’t a big deal for someone to drill out the body vin# and pop rivet it onto another body.

As far as I know there is not cross-over body stuff when they switched from the 73’ to the 74’ model. That sort of stuff seemed to have faded away after the 55’ beetle. Just out of curiosity, is you Thing a Mexican made or German one? Some of the knock-down kits made in different countries might have a few screwball traits you describe but I doubt you would have one if they even existed.

Ferretkona Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:45 am

Patmus wrote: could a late year 73' have some of the features of a 74' ?-Pat

Not likely! Time for pictures!

Patmus Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:20 pm

Hi Guys, I will try and get some pics togther. Any excuse to show off my Thing! :wink: I do indeed have the gas heater ( though not functioning :roll: ) with all of the proper switches and knobs. I see no sign of any possible channeling for a heater box style system. My Thing was made in Mexico. I will post pics as soon as I can.
-Pat