TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manxter bodies
scarybuggy Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 am

I've been toying with the idea of getting a full-length buggy body so the rest of my family can get in and enjoy the ride. Does anyone know what the quality is on the Manxter 2+2? I know it's a little pricey, but if it's built thick, it may be worth it. I recently had the privilege of seeing someone's fine legs while standing on the front fender of their Manx :shock: , but I'm not sure if the 2+2 still has the same quality of fiberglass build. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!

mr_bill Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:16 pm

Jay...........in a word YES, the Manxter is a very high quality body. It has a good many safety features not found on our older buggys. Side intrusion bars up under the fenders that attach to the functional roll cage. I have seen several Manxters & they were all of exceptional quality..

Yellermanx Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:27 pm

I have only seen one Manxter in person and it was just as thick or thicker than the Manx. I wouldn't be afraid to stand on the fender, but only if wearing velcro shoes. :lol: I think the Manxter would be a little better investment than others. If built right you should have no trouble getting your money back out of a Manxter. They are pricey, but there is more to them than just a body. The only difference in the cost of building a Manxter or something else is the initial cost of the body/kit.

Murzi, Your turn. :lol:

viperbgy Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:20 pm

Chuck, did you use a ladder to get up on that fender? :lol:

welsh619 Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:14 pm

if you just wanted a full length car try mgm. Scott's the man in charge of the bodies and he used to work for manx back in the day so the bodies are very similar except for the full length. mgmplastics.com

MURZI Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Yellermanx wrote:
Murzi, Your turn. :lol:

You guys.....Why equate quality with thickness....who cares.....

Are you guys changing the lightbulbs in your garage door openers by standing on the hoods of these things??? :lol: :lol:

Try that on your Mustang Chuck......

I think the deal with the manxter kit is you get much more than just a body with the kit. Initial pain??? HIGH!!! The end result ... much higher build cost than building a short manx clone, but a really nice REFINED car. I would bet a MANXTER costs about 15-20k, or twice that of a regular buggy, to build a super nice one.

NOW a long buggy copy with a manxter "rip off cage" could easliy be built for 8-10k. The catch is you can't stand on the fender.......

that is unless you hang from the clothes line and wear antigravity velcro shoes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right Chuck????

lostinbaja Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:45 am

The extra thickness is nice to have for 3 reasons:
The fenders don't flap around at highway speeds. I have seen this on some thinner fiberglass buggys.
The headlights don't bounce all over.
When the Soccer Mom in her mini van full of kids backs into the front fender at the gas station and actually moves the buggy sideways 6", all that happens is the paint cracks, the fender doesn't explode. Don't ask me how I know this.
Jerry...

scarybuggy Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 am

Thanks for your opinions. Murzi, I agree on the price. For some reason my kids want to keep eating, even though Daddy tells them he wants a buggy. Sigh....
I dropped a note to mgmplastics to get a quote on their bodies and to get some more info. Thanks, Mr Bill for the pics. That is an AWESOME street ride! :D

mkparker Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:32 am

These guys are making a really nice full length body.

New 4 Seat Body

PK Socal Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:43 am

Wow these forums are great.

I have my pan nearly ready and I can't put off choosing a FG body much longer. I've looked at a few of the local manufacturers' bodies and they all look pretty good but I don't know what I don't know.

Has anyone heard anything positive or negative about product or business practices of the guys at Vegas Buggies, Bandit Buggies or RTS?

Maybe I'm afraid of buying the wrong body or maybe I'm just afraid of commitment :oops:

Manxdude Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Manxter is well worth the money I worked for Bruce during the first run up till #35 and it is all about quality. The "aqua velva" metalflake one in the picture above was totaled and the driver walked away like a Nextel cup driver on Sunday I say buy once cry once