TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: hinge Pins
honky Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 am

I need to drill out and replace a couple of door hinge pins. Can anyone tell me what size the pins are and what size drill bit to use. ever see a write up on this here or anywhere.

alg Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:51 am

there are a few threads here in the forum about this topic.
One of them in the last 2 or 3 months mentioned the pin sizes and a few clever items you can find at your home store that will work in a pinch.
Do some more searching in the forum and you should find the info.

markie61 Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:19 am

alg wrote: Do some more searching in the forum and you should find the info.

Best and most recent http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193630
Mark

germansupplyscott Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 pm

i would not drill them - you will ruin the hinges. the pins are very hard.

they will press out. when i did this i used a sturdy large vice. support the hinge with a deep socket over the pin and use a very short drift - i think i used a short screwdriver bit - to do the pressing. the pin will get pressed into the socket. after it is mostly out you can drift it put the rest of the way. use a lot of heat - a small blowtorch will do.

Ferretkona Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:57 pm

If you can wait, I would order some new pins from The Thing Shop and use the new pin to drift out the old.

Bobnotch Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:05 pm

honky wrote: I need to drill out and replace a couple of door hinge pins. Can anyone tell me what size the pins are and what size drill bit to use. ever see a write up on this here or anywhere.

I wouldn't drill them out either. I used a torch to warm the hinge area up (only burnt the paint on that part), and used a drift punch to knock it out of the hinge. I then used a 6mm reamer to clean up the pin part after it cooled. I think the stock pin size is actually 5mm in diameter. I hope this helps.

honky Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:44 pm

did you have to knock out the pin stuck on the hinge that is welded to the car ?

Ferretkona Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:20 pm

honky wrote: did you have to knock out the pin stuck on the hinge that is welded to the car ?

The pin and the hinge are not welded to anything.

The door hinge is mounted with machine screws.
The door hinge pin is merely pressed in.

kubelmann Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:06 am

I have an "ample" supply of door hinges available... K-mann