TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: NJ Street Legal Laws Page: 1, 2  Next
danjohnsen Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:53 am

What are the laws to make my manx street legal in NJ? How can i get passed inspection? Do i have to go through inspection if i register it as a show car or something along those lines? Anything helps.

EMPIImp69 Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am

If you get Historical plates (QQ) in NJ you don't need to go thru inspection.

scarybuggy Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:08 am

I agree with the historical plates option. It's a nightmare in Jersey to get this kind of stuff through the inspection process.

90volts Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:17 am

i know PA won't allow historic,antique, classic or any of those type plates on a buggy. unless it is registered as a bug, then you may be able to get away with it.
otherwise, it is supposed to have a 'special construction 'title and be inspected accordingly. but that is a huge pain!
easiest thing is if you have it registered as a bug, and you find a sympathetic shop, and it has all the normal safety stuff like turn signals, hi/low beams, safety belts, etc.

EMPIImp69 Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Yea you would need to register it as a bug to get the Antique plates, and you would need to go to one of the 4 regional DMVs..Trenton, Eatontown, Wayne and there is one more in South Jersey somewhere. The regular DMVs don't do the antique plates-dumb NJ rule :roll: .

danjohnsen Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:27 pm

what about the difference between a salvage title and a reconstructed title? I believe the guy i bought it from in iowa said it is a specialty title where he is. Im hoping it is considered a reconstructed title in NJ bacause they they said i can just change the name on the title and avoid inspection.
Thanks everyone

scarybuggy Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:31 am

I believe the one in South Jersey is in Deptford.

PURPLE HAZE Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 am

i got regular plates on my buggy and i was told that i didn't have to go thru inspection.

i have been driving my buggy all around for almost 4 months with no problems.

danjohnsen Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:05 am

reaally? When you bought your buggy, what kind of title did it have? When you registered it, what what the process and what did you need? Did you need it insured to register it? Everything helps. Thanks!!
Dan

EMPIImp69 Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:34 am

Dunno about Purple Haze's but mine has an NJ title from a '70 VW Bug. You will need insurance before you go to register it.

PURPLE HAZE Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:51 am

i also have a NJ title as a 1965 beetle.

i have Rally insurance (full-cover for $10k). i pay $235 a year.

Genom Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:56 am

Hmmm...after reading all this here, there just may be hope for me to move to Cape May one year. :wink:

danjohnsen Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Thanks guys!
For all you that have them registered as 65 and 1970 beetles, did you have to go through any inspection? and when you got the title in your name, were they reconstructed titles or just regular vw beetle titles?

danjohnsen Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:24 pm

purple haze, what insurance company fo you use that you pay $235 per year? What about everyone else in NJ? Thanks again, this is geat info.

HamburgerBrad Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:05 pm

try this: http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/vehicle-registration.php

caseydenise Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:08 pm

NJ is crazy. If your vehicle is titled 25 tears or older you can get QQ plates. No inspection. Trick is you have to show a picture of the car. You can find any picture on google.

z28diver Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 am

When I registered my buggy 2 years ago I tried to get the QQ plates but as soon as they saw it's a buggy they rejected it. What I did was register it as a bug and then got a custom/classic form. It cost an extra 25.00 for the first time and 10.00 after that. It keeps you from having to go thu inspection. You go to the inspection station and they come out and check the odometer. I have no high beams, windsheild wipers, or engine gards so I would fail regular instpection. The only thing is your only good for 2500 miles in the year, to shows and parades and occassional cruises. I don't do that many miles because of weather anyway and you could alway put your cable off if you had to. They put a triangle inspection sticker on the windshield. Mine is due this month and I just got the voucher so I hope to go tomorrow.

PURPLE HAZE Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:53 pm

i will try to get QQ plate next year.

danjohnsen Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:07 pm

my manx is titled as a 1986 dune buggy. it is a specialty title from iowa. I am OK with only putting 2500 miles per year on it. What can i do to register it without inspection??

vincent9993 Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:28 am

This thread had me pull my Quebec registration. I was curious too...

Mine is registered as follow:

Make: Volks
Model:
Year: 1974
Weight: 899kg
Axles:
VIN: 1328...008

As you can see it's got no model! The VIN is a Quebec issued VIN on an aluminium plate:

http://69.70.50.182/photo/ViewPhoto.asp?Album=Dune%20Buggy&Photo=DSCN8119.JPG&Page=4

I had to pass inspection but a local gas station did it for me (ie friend of mine!)