TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Newbie needs help - part 1
Fun 181 Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:53 am

I've just bought a '74 Thing. It was "restored" in '03 and is in pretty good shape. It came with a rebuilt dual port 1600 engine, dual 34 pic Webbers, petronic ignition and an 009 distributor. It also has chrome 15" rims with 205-75x15 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts.

The engine wasn't giving me much power and leaking oil so I brought it to my mechanic for a check up. I told him I was thinking of putting a bigger engine in it, a beefier tranny, disc brakes and possibly give it a little lift.

He pulled the original engine, and told me that whoever rebuilt it in '03 made some rookie mistakes which cooked a few of the cylinders. He found some other issues, and we decided to swap out the 1600 for a 2110cc.

For the tranny we are looking at Rancho Performance Type I pro-street set up to mate with the bigger 2L engine.

The disc brakes seem to be an issue. My mechanic does NOT want to do any type of fabrication to get disc breaks to fit. Other than the Things Unlimited disc break conversion kits (which I know I won't be getting - ever) I can't seem to find any bolt-on options. I'm in the process of checking with Jbugs and SoCal auto parts in CA to see if they can help.

As far as lifting the Thing we wanted to stay away from a body lift and go with an air shock/coil-over set up to raise the whole deal up about 3 - 4 inches.

I grew up on air-cooled VWs and owned a couple of 74 beetles when I was younger. I am not a mechanic, but I do know some basics and want to learn as much as possible. This is my first Thing, and my first attempt at an all-out overhaul to a VW.

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom, see any red flags or have any first-hand experience with my intended set-up?

(I read through the more recent threads and all the disc brake mods either reference the Things Unlimited conversion kit, or some sort of home-made fabrication. I'm looking for a bolt-on solution if at all possible. Also, the forum threads I found regarding lifting a Thing seemed somewhat vague. Any help with lifting and disc brakes will be very helpful.)

Thanks,
Slim

bmwloco Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:07 pm

Welcome, Slim.

Sounds like you've got a good project. Have fun.

Cruise around the Forums and read some of the threads. You'll find the answers to a lot of your queries and glean even more.

ztnoo Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:27 pm

http://veewiki.com/K-mann_4_wheel_brake_conversion

http://www.thingtech.com/diskbrake.html

Fun 181 Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

I had found the 2 links supplied by ztnoo previously. Both links indicate that some machine work may be needed which I'd like to avoid if possible. Plus, they both indicate that Things Unlimited conversion kits are to be used. From my understanding Things Unlimited is NOT where I want to go for Thing parts.

K-mann's 4 wheel brake conversion on VeeWiki specifically states "do NOT buy from Things Unlimited", but in each one of his 3 conversion options he indicates that Things Unlimited conversion kits are to be used.

Both Thingtech and K-mann's pages include links to the Things Unlimited website and K-mann lists the TU phone number.

I guess I'm a bit confused.

Also, If I do find a bolt-on front disc brake solution, will I have any issues with the brakes and lifting the car up 3-4 inches?

Ian Epperson Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:57 pm

I'm not sure, but you might be able to use one of the Airkewld kits.

ztnoo Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:41 pm

Found this source in OZ.
Really nice looking stuff.
http://www.customoffroad.com.au/vw/partFull.asp?partid=184
http://www.customoffroad.com.au/images/vw/parts/full/184.jpg

Not cheap though:
$350 AUD per pair = $269.42 US

pjmacua Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:45 pm

One topic found with the search engine :

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67461

Regards
Pierre-J MACUA
www.181spirit.com

Fun 181 Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm

$270 for an adapter... plus shipping? Is that a typo? It is some nice machining. but HOLY GUACAMOLE!

I've got calls into SoCal auto parts and put my mechanic in touch with airkewld. I'll post up whatever info I come across. I'll also try to take some in-progress photos as well.

ztnoo Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:13 pm

check what i wrote: per pair

one pair = two corresponding items, similar in form or function and matched or associated: a pair of shoes.

ztnoo Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 pm

or...............you could fab your own:

Thing Front Disk Brake Caliper Mounts
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=104463&sid=531a70b2eacd7b405d6b3c3f4ca9bfdb

ztnoo Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:34 pm

or..... go this direction:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=105244

mattt Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:46 am

Congratulations on the Thing purchase. Ive had a few over the years, and cant get Things out of my blood.

Lifting it just a few inches is easy. To lift the rear, just re-index the rear torsion bars. Best way to lift the front is have adjusters installed in the front beam. If you are in SoCal, there are plenty of shops locally that could do this. I wouldnt bother with cheapo air shocks/coilovers. Just reset the suspension settings as I mentioned, and you will be good to go.

As for disc brakes, do you want fronts or rears or both? The Things Unlimited front discs were the poor mans front disc brake kit. That "kit" is Ghia front discs with a custom bracket to mount it all up. There are quite a few options for bolt on disc brakes, it all depends on how much you want to spend. SoCal Imports, Neal, CNC, Gear One, Airkewld all come to mind for disc brakes. There are others too. I personally wouldnt bother with any of the previous disc brake options in this thread. For what you get, and the price, I think none of those options are worth it.

I have a set of brackets like the Things U front disc brake brackets that I dropped at a friends fab shop. We are working on pricing and availability currently. I dont know if Im going to have them produced yet, depending on price.

Any other questions, fire away.

Fun 181 wrote: I've just bought a '74 Thing. It was "restored" in '03 and is in pretty good shape. It came with a rebuilt dual port 1600 engine, dual 34 pic Webbers, petronic ignition and an 009 distributor. It also has chrome 15" rims with 205-75x15 Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts.

The engine wasn't giving me much power and leaking oil so I brought it to my mechanic for a check up. I told him I was thinking of putting a bigger engine in it, a beefier tranny, disc brakes and possibly give it a little lift.

He pulled the original engine, and told me that whoever rebuilt it in '03 made some rookie mistakes which cooked a few of the cylinders. He found some other issues, and we decided to swap out the 1600 for a 2110cc.

For the tranny we are looking at Rancho Performance Type I pro-street set up to mate with the bigger 2L engine.

The disc brakes seem to be an issue. My mechanic does NOT want to do any type of fabrication to get disc breaks to fit. Other than the Things Unlimited disc break conversion kits (which I know I won't be getting - ever) I can't seem to find any bolt-on options. I'm in the process of checking with Jbugs and SoCal auto parts in CA to see if they can help.

As far as lifting the Thing we wanted to stay away from a body lift and go with an air shock/coil-over set up to raise the whole deal up about 3 - 4 inches.

I grew up on air-cooled VWs and owned a couple of 74 beetles when I was younger. I am not a mechanic, but I do know some basics and want to learn as much as possible. This is my first Thing, and my first attempt at an all-out overhaul to a VW.

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom, see any red flags or have any first-hand experience with my intended set-up?

(I read through the more recent threads and all the disc brake mods either reference the Things Unlimited conversion kit, or some sort of home-made fabrication. I'm looking for a bolt-on solution if at all possible. Also, the forum threads I found regarding lifting a Thing seemed somewhat vague. Any help with lifting and disc brakes will be very helpful.)

Thanks,
Slim