TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: getting closer, fired today
Rbake Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:29 pm

I'ts been a while since I've had the time for this project (2 others going) and w/ a 3 and 1 year old it's here and there anyway. But, I fired her for the first time today and it's sweet!!

Breakdow:
70 IRS pan, sandblasted and powder coated black
complete new adj. ball joint front end w drop spindles and disc brakes
1915 w/progressive 2 barrel, 009, compufire, etc.
freeway flyer w/hipo clutch
all new everything, brakes, bearings, seals, bushings, hoses, etc. everything was sandblasted and painted that couldn't be bought new.
18in. wheels and tires
lowered in rear

building a street buggy
cutting no corners

bodywork's done, molded in pods, was waiting to fire engine to send body to paint. I have all new guages, wiring, seats, 5pt harnesses, etc to finish.

I'll keep ya'll posted

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bandwenterprises/alb.../my_photos

Genom Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:38 pm

That has to be the nicest Desert Fox I've seen to date...those molded-in sidepods are cool.

Rbake Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:57 pm

ty, It's pretty dusty in some pics but cleans up perfect. I'm painting it the same color as the tins, bright silver metallic. Everything is powdercoated or base/clear.

I'm going for that exotic/t-rex look, a factory looking racer. Not ricey, but a trimmed and taylored, subtle "built" car. I've leaned the windshield back even further than the pics, and i'm having a double loop roll bar made that has loops behind both seats.

I don't know much about the fox's, but its really thick w/glassed in wood in the tub and fender brace areas. Also, it has formed in wire chanels. I ID'd it w/help from this forum and this site: http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/decision-tree/leafs/BuggyId/

Frontloader Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:55 am

Rbake

Are your original pics a Desert Fox? If so, I have a clone of it except for the hood. My buggy has a dash and body like yours but the hood is different. Go to my profile to see pics before I started my restoration.

I have only seen one other hood like mine and it was on a buggy in California. His body was different from mine. No spoiler type ledge in the back.

Looks like you will have a great looking ride when finished. I am keeping mine like I built it in '69. It was meant as a beach and mountain buggy and has spent more time off road then on road.

Where are you located in central Texas?

Ed

jspbtown Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:25 am

Will those headlights pass inspection in texas? Do they have hi/low beams? I love the look but if no hi/low beams then they wouldn't fly up here in Massachusetts. Looks fantastic tho. VERY clean and trick. Which wheels are the final choice? I see two sets on the pics.

jspbtown Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 am

One more question: Any concerns with all that hot air coming from the doghouse and blowing onto the coil? Will there be a heat issue causing premature coil failure?
Again...you have done a great job on your build. You should be very proud.

Rbake Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:15 pm

Original pics of buggy is when I picked it up. I do believe it's a desert fox, but I've seen desert fox's w/round mounting tabs for the lights and mine has flattend off ones?

I'm in Harker Heights, right next to Ft. Hood military base.

As for the lights, I got them from the Kawasaki shop. I've tested them w/6volt low beam and 12volt high beam, I'm hoping to wire a switched voltage reducer in.

As for the coil, I have thought of the heat and I'm just going to ride it out and see how long it lasts, maybe some heat wrap on it. I needed a longer 8.8 black coil wire to get it any further away.

the 18's are the wheels that I'm planning on running, the chrome set is 17's and 15's and were purchased early on in the project. I since sold a BMW that had the 18's on it and kept the wheels, I like the way they look better than the chromes.

59bluebuggy Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:41 pm

Rbake I have that same body on my buggy hood is the same . Where did you get your buggy. My body has a company busness card fiberglassed in to the body behind the left tailight. The managers name was Dave Meyers in Riverside California.Getting ready to paint mine. Still in primer stage now

lostinbaja Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 am

jspbtown wrote: One more question: Any concerns with all that hot air coming from the doghouse and blowing onto the coil? Will there be a heat issue causing premature coil failure?
Again...you have done a great job on your build. You should be very proud.

I mount the coil on my buggys in the same position and haven't had an issue in 25 years. The air coming out of the of the cooler is about 200 degrees F. The engine compartment of a Bug has to be about the same?
Jerry...

scarybuggy Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:05 am

Are you looking at getting rid of the chrome rims? Thought I'd ask, I'm looking at putting 15's and 17's on mine.

bugvert Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:37 am

Great Lookin buggy! :D

I too prefer the street look. :twisted:

Rbake Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Don't know about selling the chrome's. I kinda like changing the look whenever I want. They were real cheap out of Jegs, Soft 8's they're called.

The buggy I bought from an old VW shop here locally. There's no business card glassed in, there was a 5 digit number plate in the front, but nothing else. I believe it's a desert fox. I like the hood and rear, they play in nice to the street buggy look.

Thanks, for the reply on the coil mounting, it makes me feel better. I have a bosh blue coil that's going to be used permanetly. I custom cut and bent the bracket to hold it and anchored it w/rubber bushings for vibration.

I'll post pics w/the body on soon.

Waiting on my new clutch cable adjusting wing nut in the mail. WOW, I bet I went through 200 nuts trying to find one that fit the end of that cable, finally ebay'd it and bought an new one 3$ shipped, I spent more than that trying to match a nut up. It's a real odd size!! Once it's hooked up, I can drive the pan around a little!!

MURZI Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:56 pm

I am digging the street racer look. The wheels look perfect , not too overdone.