TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Check this one out.......from Indonesia
mattt Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 am

Im usually not big on hack jobs, but this thing looks sweet if you ask me. Very well put together. Good fit and finish.

Ferretkona Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:17 am

I would like to see more pics on this one. It does not look like a hack job. Longer ear muffs. The body line behind the door. The soft top looks cool!

More pics please!

Ferretkona Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:18 am

The exhaust is funky thou???

mattt Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:31 am

More pics of it in the Thing gallery here. I stumbled onto it tonight.

KGCoupe Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:50 am

It looks really cool..............but not very useful with the engine taking up much of the bed area.

ztnoo Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 am

Note this is a RHD....so it's a Type 182.
Wonder how is got to Indonesia? Maybe via Oz, Hong Kong, Singapore,?,???

Ferretkona Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:35 pm

I wonder if it is the same car in the two pics? The last one has bug exhaust the first one is wider on the tail pipes (maybe a bus?) I still like it thou.

ztnoo Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:52 pm

Well, there is another difference too....elephant foot lights vs euros.
And plates vs no plates (license).
Check the Thing gallery for all four pics.
But I think the giveaway this is the same vehicle is the vertical seam behind the doorpost in each pic.....like a seperate bed was fabbed somehow.
At least it has that look, whether it actually is or not.
Those elongated muffs would lead me to believe it the same vehicle too.
Odds are slim to none of two RHD 182's looking like this.

ztnoo Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:57 pm

Also, all pics have elongated rear bumper returns to the rear fender too
Overall I like the look and it looks like someone did an enormous amount of work and pulled an niffy idea off very well.

Towel Rail Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:09 pm

Were the Indonesia-bound CKD's RHD?

Pinky Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:40 pm

The lip around the bed, the RHD status, the same small 5 lug wheels and tires, the top and frame, the paint and painted brightwork, and most importantly the one-off fold down engine decklid that has been extended up to the tailgate lip say that it's the same vehicle to me. Tail lamp lenses and exhausts are easy to switch out- The pre-73 front fenders are a sweet addition too. The pic with the pea-shooter exhaust and the lack of a license plate and top looks like a post-build picture before he got all the kinks worked out.

It's a very cool and well-executed idea. It gets the Pinky seal of approval and I'd love to hear and see more of it.

Nice job!!! =D>

Pinky Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:43 pm

It's subtle, but does it look to anyone else that it may be a cover over the bed?

Possibly fabbed from a hard top or maybe even a few front hoods?

Towel Rail Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:27 pm

Pinky wrote: It's subtle, but does it look to anyone else that it may be a cover over the bed?

Possibly fabbed from a hard top or maybe even a few front hoods?

Upon looking at it again, I *do* see ribs in it!

kubelmann Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:59 pm

Me thinks its a 5 x 130 bolt pattern and the exhaust is the same as my 79 bus with the t-4 2.0 l and the monza exhaust I wanna know what is under the bed of that car.. If that was my Thang it would be Subaru powered...

There were a ton of Things built for the Indonesian market all RHD... lke south africa and other areas that the reject 182 that flopped in the UK were sold...

bucko Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:42 am

"Well, there is another difference too....elephant foot lights vs euros."

Those are just elephant "low profile" lights, and not the Euro Thing Bus style lights.

WD-40 Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:36 pm

It looks to me like the body extends much further beyond the rear fenders... like they either extended the body in the engine compartment area, or moved the rear wheel wells forward.

The Beetle exhaust looks like it is tucked in a bit too far... which would support either of these changes...

- David

Towel Rail Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:10 am

The rear wheels were definitely moved forward -- no room for the rear doors anymore.