TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Turning thing body upside down. Can I just turn it over?
Space Ghost Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:06 am

Hello,

Has anybody taken the body off the floorpan, and then turned the body upside down, so as to be able to weld underneath the sills (rockers) etc, without weld falling off etc (due to gravity) ?

If so, did they just turn the car over and rest it on the ground/mattress, etc., once it was separated from the floorpan? Or did they make a metal brace for it to avoid any body twisting that may occur?

Thank you!

germansupplyscott Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:25 am

it should be fine. the body is stiff. if your rockers are badly rotted you should be careful to place it on something that is square. if you started rebuilding the rockers and the body was sitting on supports that were twisted, i can see how once the repair work was done, your body would now be twisted also.

Space Ghost Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 am

Thanks for that..........

There was quite a bit of rust in the rockers/sills......

But I have repaired 90% of it whilst it was still the right way up and on the floorpan.......

I want to flip it over to finish it off and weld more thoroughly ...and bridge lot of pinholes that are there...........

Better get on with it, I suppose!

gus111 Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:18 pm

You should be able to weld overhead with out gravity working against you.
Turn the heat down and give it a little more wire speed. Also don't try and weld it all at once. Do it a little at a time (weld then let cool a few seconds, then weld a few seconds).