TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Amphibious Manx ?
bugracer99 Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:15 pm

I'm nearly done reworking the body for my drag version of a Manx clone & just had a thought for my next project. I have all the major parts for another Manx clone, (engine, trans, shortened chassis & an older glass body in fair shape) so I'm thinking instead of just another street (or off road) buggy how 'bout an Amphibious street & water machine?
Anybody have any idea's on what all would be involved? For instance, Will foam filled side pods, well sealed tub & big 'ole sand paddle tires on lightweight aluminum rims provide enough flotation? "Waterproof" the engine or build a tub around it? Rig up a prop or just use sand paddle tires for go power? How about steering, would the front tires & steering brakes on the rear be eough? Anyway as you can see lots to think about. comments or suggestions anybody?

Bugman Jeff Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:21 pm

even big paddle tires won't be enough to move you with any sort of speed(atleast not without way excessive rooster tails splashing everywhere. You'd be better off rigging up a propeller like the Schwimwaggens had. As for steering, Amphicars used the front wheels as rudders, you should be able to as well. It's not the best solution, but it does work. Be sure the engine is very well sealed from the water. You don't want large amounts of cold water hitting hot iron cylinders...

madmike Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 am

last time i drove threw Nevada i didn't see to many lakes :lol:

bugracer99 Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 am

I just want to be ready in case I ever want to drive my buggy all the way across Michigan with yer' 10,000 lakes! FYI, I also ran a manx for 7 years in the "Nevada MUD racers association". Finaly gave that up tho, got tired of looking for the mud pit out here...............

Tom V

caseydenise Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:19 pm

That is a very cool idea! I want one for fishing. I think it could work with some thought. Heck, just get it to float and put a 9.9 evenrude on the back cage. Or a remote steering trolling motor.

Ericthenorse Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:27 am

bugracer99 wrote: I just want to be ready in case I ever want to drive my buggy all the way across Michigan with yer' 10,000 lakes! FYI, I also ran a manx for 7 years in the "Nevada MUD racers association". Finaly gave that up tho, got tired of looking for the mud pit out here...............

Tom V

That would be Minnesota..... :D

BISHOP Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:22 am

I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR A WHILE MY SELF... FIRST, I KNOW FROM MY STUDIES OF OTHER AMPHIBS IS THAT THE AXLE SHAFTS AND MAYBE THE TOR.TUBE WOULD NEED TO BE VENTED TO FRESH DRY AIR. AFTER RUNNING DOWN THE ROAD OR OFF ROAD AT SPEED AND THEN SPLASHING INTO THE NICE COOL WATER WITH HOT SHAFTS/TUBES WILL CREATE A VAC. INSIDE THE SHAFTS SUCKING IN WATER PAST ANY SEALS. ANOTHER THING IS THAT 4 WHEEL IS USED ON MOST ALL AMPHIBS OTHERWISE YOU WILL NEED GREAT SPEED (THUS LOOSING SOME CONTROL) TO GET THE REAR TIRES TO TRACTION. I DID SEE ONE EXAMPLE VIA THE WEB, WHERE A BLOKE OVERSEAS TOOK THE A ROLLING FRAME (MINUS THE PANS) AND SET IT INSIDE A BOAT AND JUST GLASSES IN THE "WHEEL WELLS", WILL UPDATE WITH THAT SITE IT COVERS ALL RECORDED AMPHIBIOUS CARS AND BOATS MOST PROFESSIONAL WITH SOME CUSTOM CREATIONS...

bugracer99 Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:26 am

Your probably right Ericthenorse, everywhere on the other side of Colorado is just "back east somewhere" to me. :oops: But as I hear it those Michigan folks do have a little pond or lake near by, don't they??? Enough water around to test a floating VW anyway I bet. Buy the way, now that you've given me a geogrophy lesson got any ideas on how to make a manx clone float & run in the water??