TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Foglight? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Alzy Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:55 pm

I have no rear foglight on my 72 bay. I thought that rear foglights were compulsory in britain or did this come later on???

Al

73kombi Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:42 pm

by "rear fog lights" do you mean "back up lights"....

just sayin'

as I don't drive into the Fog in reverse......

peace

p.s. Anglo American Translation required.

nemobuscaptain Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:06 pm

Rear fog is a Euro thing. It is red and brighter than the normal running lights. It isn't to allow the driver to see to the rear in the fog, it is to allow other drivers to see the rear of your bus in the fog.

busdaddy Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:45 pm

There's that spare reflectorish part of the lens I always assumed was for a fog light, north american busses have nothing behind it although I've toyed with the idea of putting a bulb in there.

rear fog lights in europe are like brake lights that are always on, keeps you from getting rear ended on the autobahn.

karmann57 Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:01 am

busdaddy wrote: There's that spare reflectorish part of the lens I always assumed was for a fog light, north american busses have nothing behind it although I've toyed with the idea of putting a bulb in there.

Euro models have one bulb for the brake light (bottom) and one dedicated to the turn signal (top), NA models only have the one.

If you really wanted to create a rear fog you could just buy a euro tail assembly and wire it up differently. It might not be a bad idea to have rear lights hooked up to a dash switch, you could flash your tails without pounding on the brakes.

Shane

Karl Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:54 am

But remember that a rear fog light is only on the drivers side. It is as bright as a stop light but there is only one. Otherwise you would look like an idiot riding your brakes.....

steponmebbbboom Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:56 am

also, the correct rear facing foglight has a glass lens and uses a different bulb. put a regular 1157 in your stock taillamp housing and wire the brake filament to remain on all the time and you can kiss your plastic lens goodbye.

busdaddy Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:38 am

karmann57 wrote:
Euro models have one bulb for the brake light (bottom) and one dedicated to the turn signal (top), NA models only have the one.

Shane

Yes on 71 and earlier, I was talking about the 72+ lights.

Boom I think if the bulb is far enough from the lens it won't melt, never melted a lens sitting in a traffic jam for two hours with my foot on the brake. Have a look at other euro cars like Audi's, they use a plastic lens.

Alzy Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:54 am

Yea sorry about that. Didnt mention where i was from.

Thanks for replies
Al

steponmebbbboom Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:10 pm

busdaddy wrote: karmann57 wrote:

Shane

Yes on 71 and earlier, I was talking about the 72+ lights.

Boom I think if the bulb is far enough from the lens it won't melt, never melted a lens sitting in a traffic jam for two hours with my foot on the brake. Have a look at other euro cars like Audi's, they use a plastic lens.

i need only take a look at many forklift and truck lenses that have melted as a result of either a stuck stop lamp switch or the filament breaking off and shorting to the brake light filament to see what effect continued use of the brake lamp filament can have on plastic lenses. i have also seen my fair share of car taillamp housings and lenses that have melted and warped as a result. the increased heat of the brake filament is not taken into account when designing a taillamp because the brake filament is not intended to remain on all the time. they get surprisingly hot.

you cannot modify the stock taillamp to act as a rear facing fog lamp, the lens will melt.

WestyPop Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:16 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FOG-LAMP-LIGHT-REAR...enameZWDVW

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)

devesvws Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:19 am

i just found out my 71 parts bus has the drivers side side fog light housing and glass cover. it started its life in england as a devon camper, wow what a great find.

rsbadura Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Alzy wrote: I have no rear foglight on my 72 bay. I thought that rear foglights were compulsory in britain or did this come later on???
They are part of the M-Code Z01 (additional equipment by VW) - the bad weather package with front foglights and intervall wiper, not very unusual in northern europe... But I know it only since August 1974 by VW.

The fog light switch has three positions - 1. off, 2. only front and 3. front and rear.

Made by the automotive supplier "Hella" - like a lot of electric parts of the T2.

For original photos study the old brochures and manuals.

On my photos at the front actual "Hella Classic 181" with stone guard covers and an the rear a untyped Hella fog light - both with chome housing. The original front housing I saw was black plastic.

Tuna Tim Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Alzy wrote: I have no rear foglight on my 72 bay. I thought that rear foglights were compulsory in britain or did this come later on???

Al

It did come later. I shipped my 1974 Bay over from the States in 2007. When it was MOT'd I needed a new light switch, but no red fog (rear) light. And I missed not paying the tax by one (1) year!

devesvws Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:49 pm

mine is built into the tail light, its at the lower side of the housing.

Fillmore77 Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 pm

A friend of mine has a 93 EV camper made by CARTHAGO, it was imported from Germany, and it has that fog light built into the rear bumper. He was nonplussed about it for a while too after he bought the bus.

telford dorr Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:00 pm

While not quite the intention of this topic, I mounted a single (white) fog light (salvaged from a pair where one got broke) under the rear bumper as a 'better' back-up light. I have a relay connected to the tail light wiring which switches the back-up light power from the trannie switch to the new fog light when the headlights are on (otherwise the stock back-up lights are energized in reverse - good in the daytime as a reverse 'indicator' to those behind me.) Also, a second relay powers the fog light so the bulb load (55 watt) doesn't go through the back-up light switch. [Yeah, it's complex, but that's the way it evolved.)

Adjust the fog light for a low flat beam pattern.

Now, while backing up, I can actually see what's behind me at night....

[It's a '71 panel, with no center rear view mirror, and no visibility out the rear window - side mirrors only. Makes a difference...]

otiswesty Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Another pic of a rear fog from Type2.com

thewalrus Tue May 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Ares there any more definitive answers to where the location of the rear fog is supposed to be?

The previous two pictures show it underneath but I found this which has it above:

topaz. Tue May 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Multiple parameters point it at the bottom

Like 098-30 microfiche.

Plenty of European models pictured with it under the bumper and just a few at the top.

Drainage at the housing is also across from mounting position.( I think. I have to check this one out)

So I guess the correct position is at the bottom.

If you run a 2L please don't drill a new hole at the bumper for know.

Use the existing one from the bracket.

A bit to the right from there??

This is where the hard decision comes to, plenty of European T2b models are T1 equipped and the exhaust in that position comes real close to the housing, almost an inch apart.

If you place it a bit to the right, the light will then push the rear bumper guard to the right as well.

This way the guard might be on the way and interfere the rope on a sharp turn/corner, of course if mounting position for the rope is on drivers side.

So I guess the best way to feel happy and have a working rear fog light for now, is to place it with out drilling the bumper in a misplaced position.