TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: type3 tow bar
Joseph Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:15 pm

Anyone know if one was ever made? I have heard of one being made. Only know that a super bettle tow can eaily be modified.

Anyway, a friend has a towbar for me that he believes is a type3 tow bar. I have gone to look at it and it seems to be. But I have not seen if it can fit firmly. I have pictures of it. I will try and post them and post a link to it. It has a piece of a type3 tow hitch on it still. Some sort of bar, has a VW sticker which says squareback on it. I have no idea what this piece would be, I have a type3 tow hitch myself and cant think of what this piece would be for. But the bar itself looks like it could be true and the hitch piece with the sticker also convinces me.

Any insite?

TimGud Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:16 am

I think a type 1 towbar will work. Borrow a friends towbar and see if it fits.My wifes uncle swears he towed one out of my back yard a few years ago with one but I dont remember him doing it.

Joseph Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:44 pm

Nah, type1 wont fit. Like I said a super bettle tow bar can be modified. I am not trying to tow my type3. Just have access to what may be a genuine type3 towbar, if they existed.

chillz1 Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:08 pm

I've never heard of a type 3 speciffic tow bar. The only ones I've ever seem were completly home made, or the modified SB one that you mentioned.

[email protected] Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:51 pm

how wide are the bumper mounts on a t3 I need to tow a wagon and I am thining that I can use the tow bar that I have. And are themounts flat or are they tubes on a 71 t3?

pedro sainz Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:36 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=364117&highlight=tow+bar