TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: body repair help please
jason8 Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:52 am

hi, I just posted this in the body/paint section, and as not to duplicate it here's the link.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206094

any help would be appreciated.
jason

Yellermanx Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Wish I had some good advice, but that sounds like a mess. If it is on top of the gel coat maybe it didn't bond well and if you get it started maybe it will peel off. Maybe acetone. Good Luck

surfnc Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:00 pm

Jason,
My buddy and I build surfboards on the Outer Banks of NC and we use laminating resin all the time. Laminating resin is regular resin without the wax added. This allows you to add a second layer (laminate) to one that has already cured without sanding, giving a stronger bond, but does not allow you to sand it easily. Bondo type resin (that you can get at auto parts store) has the wax already in it and cures so you can sand it. I would do a test with some Bondo or marine type resin on an small area of the body. Apply the resin with a 4" chip brush and brush it out till you cannot see the weave of the cloth, let it cure and see how well it sands out. This should allow you to sand all the way down to the old gelcote if you want or just smooth out the existing cloth. I would probably use 100 grit and take it down to the old gelcote, this will more than likely take care of any spider cracks and pits. Be careful when sanding because you can go through that layer of glass pretty fast . It is not as bad as it looks, just take your time and read directions on resin concering how much hardener (catalist) to use because it is very temperature sensitive and can cure before you get it out of the cup (too much) or take all day to cure (too little). Let me know how the test went.

Vince
PS: The Bondo type resin is polyester based, if the test does not allow you to sand it the PO may have used epoxy resin which is very unlikely but possible. In which case you would have to use a sandable epoxy resin to seal it and allow you to sand it out. Epoxy is 2-3 times the expense of polyester and might make the project cost prohibitive.

Butch F20 Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:41 am

Justin,

I do a good deal of boat fiberglass work and if it looks as though the glass cloth that is on there is bonding well with the body, I mean no air pockets etc. I would lightly sand an area, wipe it down with acetone and try some Gel Coat with wax, that can be applied like Vince said with a chip brush. Resin as well as gel coat dries when there is an absence of air. The wax will float to the top during the curing process and you will end up with a hard surface that can be sanded.

The Gel Coat should fill the weave in the cloth with one coat depending on how thick it is, which varies with temperature, humidity etc. There are also various additives to help thicken the mixture, but you should be fine mixing it by itself. Regardless of how you go, you will be an expert sander when its all done.

I would try this on a small area like the front fender, just to see how it comes out. Any local boat store should have gel coat, or try a local boat yard, you may be able to borrow about a pint or so for a trial.

Good luck,
Butch

jspbtown Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:02 am

Would sticking it out in the hot sun maybe help if it is a curing issue?
Also, try keeoing your sander moving. What kind are you using and what grit paper?

jason8 Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:02 pm

thanks for the replys. I will try your ideas this weekend. If I'm understanding you correctly, if I cover whats there now with a "finishing" product (gel coat/resin) it will let the laminating resin finish setting up? makes sence. I've tried 80-150 grit, da & vibrating sanders with same results.

thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
jason

surfnc Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 pm

Jason,
Like Butch said by the time you get done you will be an expert sander. Just so I did not confuse you, the "bondo" resin is resin not "body filler". You should be able to use any polyester resin with wax in it to take care of your project.
Vince

manxcraig Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm

You could finish only the outside and spray the inside with bedliner or carpet it. That would save a lot of sanding. A body that has been bedlinered inside is posted in the "what did you do to your buggy yesterday" thread, it looks great !