TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: air intake connection
honky Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:17 pm

My 74 Thing with the original 1600dp motor seems to be missing the lower connection point for the air intake hose off the carburator. The hole in the tin is there but nothing below it. It has had a new non stock muffler put on before I got it. Is that connection off the heater box, part of the stock muffler or where. Anyone seen a picture of it anywhere.

Woreign Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:24 pm

My 73 is missing the same part. I read somewhere that it is a tubular elbow that helps direct warm air from the heads into the carb. I stuck the end of the air hose into the hole for now...

KTPhil Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:30 pm

The part you are missing?:

Also should have this part of cylinder shrouding:

Pipe connects to elbow like this (view from underneath):

(apron not installed in this photo)

ztnoo Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:46 am

I believe the stock piece you refer to looks like this:
http://www.thethingshop.com/images/products/largerimages/113129519g.jpg
This one is very close to what we have here on three stock Things.
They all have a 90 degree bend and are not the straight pipe shown in the post before.
I've heard it referred to as the "stove pipe".

bucko Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:15 am

This piece in the photos above allowed the snorkle part of the air cleaner to draw hot air off of the cylinder for cold start/cold idle conditions, aiding in faster engine warm up times. Many folks here in the north that use their Things to get back and forth to work in the cold outside temps will benefit from this overlooked piece.

Another point to look at is the weighted flapper inside the snorkle. After engine warmup, the flapper is supposed to open, allowing the somewhat cooler air to enter into the air cleaner. I took my air cleaner off, and found that the flapper was not opening, and therefore constant hot air from the cylinder was only entering the air cleaner. After using a toothbrush and some carb cleaner, this was resolved, and now the engine idled better both during warm up (engine cold), and after it was warmed up (approx 3 to 5 minutes the flapper should open up).

honky Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:17 am

I assume this just catches a shroud screw somewhere to attach ?

bciesq Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:54 am

honky wrote: I assume this just catches a shroud screw somewhere to attach ?

I have this part:

and it attaches to one of the screws in the rear engine tin (aka, breast plate).