TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Parking Bake
Rbake Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm finishing up the brake system, the parking brake cables that came on my buggy when I bought it are barely usable. I'm weighing the cost of buying new ones then having them shortenend or installing a "line lock" style parking brake. Seems pretty simple to just plumb in the park lock and eliminate the handle and cables.

Will it pass inspection?? I would rather have the line lock but dont want to hack off all the handle mounting brackets if the line lock won't pass inspection for "park brake". I've searched the txdot inspection sites and they don't specify what a parking brake is, so I think it will work. Anyone have any experience w/this problem?

I would love to keep the tunnel clean w/ the button style park lock and eliminate the stock handle mech. plus not having a boot will save some money too. I know there's no "emergency" brakes if I dont have the cables but I really don't care. Live life one the edge!!

Jimmler Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:39 pm

There was some discussion about line locks awhile back. As I recall, quite a few posters had problems with them, especially not releasing after being set. I don't know if your state requires a functional emergency brake, but I doubt seriously if a line lock qualifies. If you have any kind of hydraulic failure, the line lock will be useless. Good luck!

manxcraig Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:44 pm

The line lock works on the same hydrolic system as the regular brakes. The law requires that the "emergency" brakes be a seperate system so the cables need to stay.

Rbake Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:42 pm

I understand that "emergency" brakes work off a seperate system than the hydrolics. But, the tx dot site only list "park" brake required after 1960. The park lock is a "park" brake. I'm wondering if this will suffice for the requirements for the "park brake". that txdot requires.

Rbake Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:49 pm

I understand that "emergency" brakes work off a seperate system than the hydrolics. But, the tx dot site only list "park" brake required after 1960. The park lock is a "park" brake. I'm wondering if this will suffice for the requirements for the "park brake". that txdot requires.

Genom Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:51 pm

It often seems that "parking brake" and "emergency brake" are terms that are interchangeable.

I'm not sure what the wording is here in New York, but I know that a Park-Loc would amount to an inspection failure...here you need a cable operated brake independent of the main hydraulic system.

Dunebubby Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Genom wrote: It often seems that "parking brake" and "emergency brake" are terms that are interchangeable.

Unless your an auto manufacturer!
"Emergency" brakes became "parking" brakes after a few lawsuits were lost and it was decided by the auto manufacturers that it was best not to insinuate that the brake would actually do much in an "emergency". :roll:

Just about the time "firewalls" became "bulkheads" for the same reason.Because some dip$#!+ somewhere would actually recline in a burning car waiting for the "firewall" to do it's job.

The question is...... What's more sad the fact that some people are that stupid or that we had to rename the parts of the car to esentially be PC and protect the stupid?

:(

lostinbaja Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:09 am

The few extra bucks involved in replacing the "E brake" cables is well worth the expense and effort when you consider you are driving a piece of fiberglass sitting on a sheetmetal pan. You probably have a single circuit master cylinder that could easily render the brake system useless without warning. The "E brake/Parking brake/Hand brake" in a fiberglass buggy will actually stop the buggy in a reasonable amount of time and potentially keep you from injuring yourself or some unsuspecting victim.
Safety is no place for a shortcut.
Jerry...

bob cook Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:21 am

stay away from park lock they suck when they get stuck you have to crack brake line to get them to release.I would get new cables take them to a wire rope company they can shorten them it cost me $8.00 well worth it bob

gfw1985 Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:19 am

Been there, done that! Fix your cables. My buggy was missing whole hand brake assembly so installed the park lock. After sticking on me with no tools and no cell phone, I spent the money to put it back right. You won't be sorry.

SiggyManx#33 Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:43 am

Ahhhhh, I remember it like yesterday.

The day before Christmas Eve in 1999. I had almost completed everything on my first buggy and took it out for a winter cruise to the body shop to get the final estimate to complete the car. I was thinking of treating myself to new paint for Christmas.

After the estimate, I swung by my father in laws house to pick-up my wife and use her car to do some final last minute shopping. While out, my father in law called on the cell phone to find out why I have the buggy upside down in the middle street. (he really thought I may have turned it over to do work to it?)

I learned a big expensive lesson that day. The park-lock was on, the car was in gear, everything failed, the buggy rolled down the drive and off a 5 foot stone wall rolling over into the street.

PARK LOCKS DO NOT WORK. IF YOU TRUST IT,(EVEN A LITTLE BIT) YOUR CAR OR PEOPLE WILL GET HURT. KEEPING THE CAR IN GEAR IS NOT GOING TO BE SECURE ENOUGH.

Not to mention, it locked up all of the time.

Do yourself a favor, figure out a mechanical emergency brake. Doing so will save you over $2500 in body work and bent torsions.

Rbake Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:09 pm

Enough said, I'll buy the cables today!!

Thanks guys