TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Headlight Question
krewe01 Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:17 pm

I just purchased a 73 Thing and when I turn on the headlights the lights on the speedo turn off also I see some sparks by the switch is this normal (I Hope Not)any suggestions
Thanks in advance

KTPhil Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, I don't know Things very well but sparks ain't normal!

krewe01 Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 pm

It doesn't always spark if that helps at all???

Ian Epperson Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm

I've driven mly '73 on and off now for ten years. Sparking is not normal - I'd look into that... soon! Check the wiring, check to see if something has fallen back there too.

The one time my dashboard sparked, the turn signal relay had fallen and grounded against the body and caused a HUGE spark. I immediatly turned off the key, didn't notice any fire, so (like an idiot) turned the key back on and burned out the keyswitch with another HUGE spark. :oops:

krewe01 Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:33 pm

I just got the car on Sat I guess I will take a look behind the dash.The wierd part is that everything works great but the dash lights...
Thanks for the advice so far

7thing3 Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:01 am

I had a similar problem that was caused by the + light wire going to the red heat/def light in the center of the dash rubbing against the metal. Seems that if the tab gets bent to close to the metal it will short.

Look for something similar. There are only a few things that get lit up when you turn on the lights--the speedo lights and the 2 lights related to the heating system (I think).

Captain Spalding Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:08 am

7thing3 wrote: I had a similar problem that was caused by the + light wire going to the red heat/def light in the center of the dash rubbing against the metal. Seems that if the tab gets bent to close to the metal it will short.

Look for something similar. There are only a few things that get lit up when you turn on the lights--the speedo lights and the 2 lights related to the heating system (I think).
+1 on this recommendation.

In my youth I had a 1958 Austin Healy. Endowed with the world-renowned Lucas electrics, that poor little car suffered from frequent under-dash electrical fires. The first time it happened I freaked out, of course. After the third or fourth time, I wouldn't even pull over. I'd just reach under the seat for one of a pair of leather work gloves I kept in the car, and tamp the fire out.

While you're inside the dash looking for bent spade connectors that might be shorting against something, check for cracked or rotten insulation.

It doesn't take much tinkering by a previous owner to get the wiring behind the dash looking like a rat's nest. Ideally it would be best to clean up the wiring, but as a stop gap, just wrapping the spade connections with Super 33 tape will do wonders.

mattt Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:09 pm

It could also be something as simple as a bad headlight switch. I had a Thing in the past that would do something similar. Turning on the running/headlights killed the interior dash lights Jiggling and/or turning of the dimmer on the headlight switch would normally cure it......for a little while. Seems like the dimmer{reostat} goes out before the whole headlights switch. You might just try replacing the headlight switch, they arent too expensive.

krewe01 Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:31 pm

I was told by a couple other people that it might be the headlight switch I am going to take a look this weekend and see if i cant figure it out.I apprieciate all the help and suggestions

krewe01 Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:22 pm

Matt or anyone else who may know??

Maybe this is the problem you said the reostat may be bad, Im assuming that if I turn the headlight switch that its supposed to dim or brighten the dash lights??? It doesn't do anything, it just turns and turns. Also one of the contacts on the headlight switch is not being used maybe this is my problem or maybe a combination of both???? Should I buy a new harness, switch ... both??? Im Lost

emersonbiggins Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:23 pm

It is the dimmer for the dash lights that is your problem. The coil part has gone bad.
Pull the coil part out and continue to use it or change the whole switch.

krewe01 Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:40 pm

I am going to try and change the switch(I have to order one) When I get the switch do I use all connections? One of the connections is not being used at this point??? When I have more light I will find out which one maybe someone can tell me what to do. Also one of the dash lights is just kinda just floating around behind the dash. Does amyone know exactly which part of the dash is supposed to light up???? so that I can put it in its proper place??
Thanks for all the help

mattt Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:50 pm

From what I remember, not all the terminals on the headlight switch have a wire going to them.

The speedo has two bulbs sockets in it, roughly at 10 & 2. The only other lit up things on the dash are hazard and heater controls IIRC. The dimm-able dash lighting wiring is white w/ red stripe. I think its a daisy chained continuous wire.