TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hood crests Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
nivag Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:29 am

What different hood crests were used on early beetles? I mean the crest located between the trim and the hood handle. Were they specific to country of importation or just time periods or model of car, etc...
Anyone have pics of different types of front hood crest's?

kafer53 Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:35 am

The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle. There were two main ones used, but I have seen several others over the years used in different areas

This one was used for 60-62 beetles

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=394464

This one was for pre 1960 cars

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=366148

Russ Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:24 pm

here gav,
i have the one with the soldiers on it (center)

Seb67 Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Under what circumstances were those unique ones used?

splitjunkie Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:21 pm

kafer53 wrote: The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle.

Actually the crest continued into the 63 model year for several months and then was dropped.

Chris

janerick3 Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:33 pm

Municipality crests were a popular aftermarket item in the '50s and '60s. There are probably several archived threads on this subject.

john7 Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:45 pm

splitjunkie wrote: kafer53 wrote: The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle.

Actually the crest continued into the 63 model year for several months and then was dropped.

Chris

my december 62 doesnt have one

Wiggy Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:46 pm

kafer53 wrote: The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle. There were two main ones used, but I have seen several others over the years used in different areas

This one was used for 60-62 beetles

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=394464

This one was for pre 1960 cars

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=366148

Early split ones were different than the one you pictured in the pre 1960 one you posted.

kafer53 Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:15 pm

splitjunkie wrote: kafer53 wrote: The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle.

Chris

First time I have ever heard of this. :?

61vdubbug Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:28 pm

What about standard hoods? Did they have the crest and VW emblem?

IN2VWS Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:31 pm

Chris

That new to me also, what is this based on?

transportertalkman Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:37 pm

61vdubbug wrote: What about standard hoods? Did they have the crest and VW emblem?
Standards were not adorned with such Deluxe equipment. Had to keep that cost down!

RareAir Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:23 pm

IN2VWS wrote: splitjunkie wrote: kafer53 wrote: The hood crest was also known as the "wolfsburg crest" ended for the start of the 1963 year of production for beetles. All cars pre 1963 had one on the front hood above the hood handle.

Chris

That new to me also, what is this based on?

Some of the early 1963 model beetles did have the hood crest. It was dropped sometime in late November or early December.

RareAir Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:25 pm

There are several more not shown in the pic above. There's a Hamburg Castle, Flensburg Crest, Braunschweig Crest & an Australian badge as well.

IN2VWS Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:25 pm

Are you sure they weren't old stock of '62 models? Any chassis numbers?
Is this proven, or just cars that someone has seen?

RareAir Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:28 pm

IN2VWS wrote: Are you sure they weren't old stock of '62 models? Any chassis numbers?

I'll check my Progressive Refinements later tonight & get back to you.

VW Fanatic Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:54 pm

I know that in Brazil, during the 60's they had a different hood crest. It was the crest of "São Bernado do Campo" the city where the Volkswagen factory was located. Hope this helps :D

kafer53 Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Russ wrote: here gav,
i have the one with the soldiers on it (center)

Who made that yellow, white and red one (top right hand corner?)
Is it available or repopped? I've seen it around for quite some time.
I think that would look awesome with my chestnut brown paint.

RareAir Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:05 pm

VW Fanatic wrote: I know that in Brazil, during the 60's they had a different hood crest. It was the crest of "São Bernado do Campo" the city where the Volkswagen factory was located. Hope this helps :D

That's the Crest shown in the center of this pic-

splitjunkie Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:10 pm

IN2VWS wrote: Are you sure they weren't old stock of '62 models? Any chassis numbers?

I have read this somewhere. I will need to look. However I had a early 63 with OG paint and it was definitely the OG hood and it had a crest and was flat under the vw emblem. I still have the hood, but don't have the car. The hood is now on my split.

Chris