TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New 1973 Bug Project
clarkbre Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:54 pm

Well, here's the new project. It's a 1973 Beetle that I picked up for $350. I plan on doing a total pan-up restoration on it. The pan halves have been professionally replaced so I'm starting with a very good base. I will eventually fit a mid 60's body on the pan after I sandblast, POR15, put in a 2" narrowed beam, 2.5" drop spindles and the works. It came with disc brakes, a set of Solex dual 40's, with many other parts and the wheels/tires are brand new.

I'm parting out pretty much everything except for the pan and disc brakes so I should be able to make my $350 back fairly easily.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and look forward to learning every square inch of my new Beetle. Here's some pics:

[/img]

Alan Willis Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Why would you split up a #'s matching car?If you want a '60's car get a '60's car. You have a '73,be happy with it,or fix it up and sell it to buy what you want.

Dasuberstinker Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:57 am

that looks like my 73..same color too...she is body off right now...getting new pans and channels..plus extensive rust repair..costing me a fortune..hoping to have her back by spring...but who knows :roll:

makinbakin Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Alan Willis wrote: Why would you split up a #'s matching car?If you want a '60's car get a '60's car. You have a '73,be happy with it,or fix it up and sell it to buy what you want.
word. it makes me want to puke when i see an early car on an IRS pan

sbnova Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:27 pm

I would just fix up what youve got. Theres nothing wrong with a 73. Fix it up and learn on it, then get another earlier car if you want one later. Ive got a 74 standard myself. I am building it how I want it with a few earlier parts- like a rag clip (if I find one) and 68' tail lights because I just dont like the 74's- Yuk! Ive got some H4's for headlights, and suicide doors. Have fun with it, and make it look however you want.

Fattie Wed May 07, 2008 7:24 pm

old post I know

any updates ?