TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: trailing arm question?
prawny1 Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:11 pm

How much longer are thing trailing compared to those fitted to a beetle?

Also will they fit to aftermarket spindles (the type that raise ride height not lower) using bug spec long travel ball joints?

Im looking to build a mid lift baja and a friend has a set of trailing arms that have been blasted and painted but can't remember if they are thing or beetle, also having difficulty finding spindles/hubs hence the other question.

mattt Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:42 am

prawny1 wrote: How much longer are thing trailing compared to those fitted to a beetle?

Also will they fit to aftermarket spindles (the type that raise ride height not lower) using bug spec long travel ball joints?

Im looking to build a mid lift baja and a friend has a set of trailing arms that have been blasted and painted but can't remember if they are thing or beetle, also having difficulty finding spindles/hubs hence the other question.

No longer, same length. Thing arms only work with Thing spindles.

Ian Epperson Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:42 pm

This page should clear some things up:

http://veewiki.com/TheThing/ThingOnlyParts/FrontEnd

prawny1 Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Cheers mate,

Any clue how much a set of thing spindles, t-arms and bj's would set me back in U.K., or even shipped from U.S.

Or do you think it would be cheaper/easier to modify my existing beam and fit beetle spec dropped spindle and long travel bj's.

Space Ghost Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:22 am

prawny1,

get yourself on to volkszone.com ASAP....... there is a guy there selling a 181 front end setup in the parts for sale area..............

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=325793&highlight=trekker

prawny1 Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Cheers for the heads up on the beam mate,

I think i will modify beetle beam as replacement parts would be easier for me to find (recently started working for a speedster guy)

Also yet to find a good, cheap bug for the project, Gonna be my first car and building converting stuff myself is gonna help when it comes to work as alot of stuff needs modifying for the speedster conversions.

Im great when it comes to spanner bashing and finnishing/detailing but not had much experience with mods and fabrication work.