TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's the best way to drill my blank rotors?
vincent9993 Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:52 pm

I purchased a disk brake kit and getting ready to mount it but I ordered it with blank rotors. I've drilled drums before but that was pretty easy using an adaptor as a guide/template. These disks are going to be a little more tricky. Any advice?

Thanks

bob cook Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:26 pm

maybe get a wheel with the bolt pattern you need ???

didget69 Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:13 pm

Best to take them to a machine shop & have them drilled - Bolt pattern needs to be concentric with the hub bearing to prevent vibration...

bnc

vwracerdave Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:15 pm

This is not something you can do at home. You need to take it to a machine shop and have it done on an index head. It must be dead on accurate or you will have severe handling problems.

nsracing Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:20 am

This is how a blank is drilled according to stud pattern.

It can be done by hand but you have to have a the proper jig for it. Without the jig, a SuperSpacer or Rotary table will be needed.

Good luck.

vincent9993 Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks for all the advise. I don't plan to do this with a vise and hand held drill if that was the impression I appologise.

I've drilled the drums before using a wheel adaptor as the template and do own machiming equipment. Unfortunatly I do not have the jig nor a rotary table. I was hoping of machining an alignment tool to align the wheel adaptor on the disc and use that as the jig again. I do have a spare lathe chuck that I can look at mounting on the milling machine. This would allow me to emulate the rotary table.

This concentric thing did throw me off a little.

Machine shops are not a dime a douzen in my neck of the woods and I'm not planning on changing my wheels any time soon.

Butch F20 Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:21 am

Vincent, I would not use you adapter as a jig. Every one of those I have seen has been less than precision. I would indicate off of the bore where the bearing presses in and go from there. Drilling and tapping the holes can be done on a milling machine or good drill press for that matter, the rotor isn't hard, but LOCATION of the holes is the trick.

If you don't have access to an indexing head or CNC machine, you might want to get a machine shop to do it, I don't think it would be that much. Although you see some of these Chinese wheels some people sell, those holes look like they were done with a pistol drill.

Thanks,
Butch