TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I need ideas for roll bars Page: 1, 2  Next
Herbthe1eyedworm Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:50 am

I have a 67 bug chassie with a fiberglass body (I think it's a berrien) I would like a simple roll bar in the back. I dont know where to fasten, hight, ect . I would like to make it myself. I have access to a mandrel bender and welder. any ideas or plans ?

manxfwin Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:19 pm

Copy it after the Manx roll bar,anchor points on the shock towers and on the body.Simple ,effective and good looking.

BumbleBuggy Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Here is what I did.

http://bumblebuggy.blogspot.com/2006/10/all-we-have-to-fear-isevery-car-on.html

What it looks like mounted up.

PM for questions.

jbbugs Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:38 am

Fisher Buggies makes a full cage,designed to fit the Berrien bodies.I've installed 2 of them in non-Berriens,and only needed very minor mods to make them fit. The cage is WAY nicer,and safer than a single hoop. I added some downward supports to the frame horns,to help out in preventing traction-hop. The price was somewhere around $280-$300 w/o shipping.
Paul

vwracerdave Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:26 am

I would look at the NHRA rulebook for ideas. You may not be interested in racing your buggy, but if it is safe for the track, it will be safe for the street.

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2007/rules/index.html

Another source of good information and tips is the book "Baja Bugs and Buggies" Available at most VW parts stores.

jspbtown Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:02 am

Also you can try Neil at Hawkeye Buggies.

aussie01 Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:37 pm

jbbugs wrote: Fisher Buggies makes a full cage,designed to fit the Berrien bodies.I've installed 2 of them in non-Berriens,and only needed very minor mods to make them fit. The cage is WAY nicer,and safer than a single hoop. I added some downward supports to the frame horns,to help out in preventing traction-hop. The price was somewhere around $280-$300 w/o shipping.
Paul

any chance of a pic??

aquamanx Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:25 pm

aussie01 wrote: jbbugs wrote: Fisher Buggies makes a full cage,designed to fit the Berrien bodies.I've installed 2 of them in non-Berriens,and only needed very minor mods to make them fit. The cage is WAY nicer,and safer than a single hoop. I added some downward supports to the frame horns,to help out in preventing traction-hop. The price was somewhere around $280-$300 w/o shipping.
Paul

any chance of a pic??

This is a pic of the cage Hawkeye buggys built for me.

and here is another pic Hawkeye built both cages

lostinbaja Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:56 am

The overhead bars are too close together to be safe. If the bars were moved outboard a bit more it might actually protect you if you ever used the rollcage.
Here are a couple cages I have built and they are easy to get in and out of and the overhead bars are actually functional.

Jerry...[/url]

Endoboy Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:57 am

Definitely better if the top tubes are more spread apart, from a survival angle. I think some builders put them in the center so that when you mount your seat on the typical sliders and it's too high, then your head won't bump on the roll cage.

I had to bolt my seats directly to the horizontal type sliders that are only about 1-1/2 to 2" tall, then bolt the assembly right through the floor. Even then, at 6'1", I've only got <4" clearance from bar to head :shock:

Mark

danjohnsen Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 am

bugvert Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:10 am

jbbugs wrote: Fisher Buggies makes a full cage,designed to fit the Berrien bodies.I've installed 2 of them in non-Berriens,and only needed very minor mods to make them fit. The cage is WAY nicer,and safer than a single hoop. I added some downward supports to the frame horns,to help out in preventing traction-hop. The price was somewhere around $280-$300 w/o shipping.
Paul

Do you have any pics of the Fisher Buggies cage??

aquamanx how much did the Hawkeye buggys cages cost you??

jspbtown Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 am

PM me and I will let you know what it cost me shipped to MA.

jbbugs Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Please excuse all the dust on my poor buggy. I've been so busy at my shop fixing everyone elses cars' that I haven't touched my buggy in the last 3 months. I just started building a 2110 motor for it,so that's giving me some more motivation to get back on it.
Paul

aquamanx Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm

lostinbaja wrote: The overhead bars are too close together to be safe. If the bars were moved outboard a bit more it might actually protect you if you ever used the rollcage.
Here are a couple cages I have built and they are easy to get in and out of and the overhead bars are actually functional.

No doubt it would be safer with the tubes farther out but I'm 6.3 and don't like hitting my head on them.

Rbake Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm thinking of fabbing up something like this porsche boxter one. I'm trying for that exotic street car look. It's brobably about as safe as the factory manx one if tied into the shock towers but not as much as a full cage like many people have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-PORCHE-BOXSTER...dZViewItem

buggy:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bandwenterprises/album/576460762334251343

jbbugs Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 am

[/quote]
No doubt it would be safer with the tubes farther out but I'm 6.3 and don't like hitting my head on them.[/quote]

I'm 6'3" as well,and I have no problems with the Fisher cage being too close to my head. Having some 914 seats mounted real low helps with that too.
Paul

Endoboy Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:12 am

[/quote]
No doubt it would be safer with the tubes farther out but I'm 6.3 and don't like hitting my head on them.[/quote]

I'll second it fitting a large guy, since my cage fits my 6'5" friend with a couple of inches to spare. After a while, you're well aware of the tubes when getting in and out. The only time I hit my head on them is when I'm working on the car.

Mark

MyLilManx Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:11 pm

anybody know where you can purchase a bolt on cage?

Lo Cash John Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:00 pm

Where are you at?