TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Belt Size?
SquareTone Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:18 am

Okay, dumb easy question of the day:

What is the correct fan belt size for a T3 ('69)? I've looked in every book and web page I can find, but haven't found it.

Thanks.

wuzmop Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:07 pm

Use a Gates 7395 XL. They can usually be found at NAPA.

grandpa pete Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Is the belt the same size for 72 squareback ?

Mike Fisher Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:01 pm

9.5mm X 1000mm = 3/8" X 39.5" is hand written in my Autopress VW manual.

KTPhil Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:54 pm

You may have to do some trial and error. Mine has never been able to use a spec belt (too loose), so I ended up buying a throwaway until I got it dialed in. I even replaced my worn gen pulley just to be sure-- stock size still didn't fit. And it's the original motor so no funny baseness in the last 45 years.

Yabbadubbadoo Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:54 pm

KTPhil wrote: You may have to do some trial and error. Mine has never been able to use a spec belt (too loose), so I ended up buying a throwaway until I got it dialed in. I even replaced my worn gen pulley just to be sure-- stock size still didn't fit. And it's the original motor so no funny baseness in the last 45 years.

Did you replace the cast alloy fan-pulley? I only ask because I needed to buy a new one and my local vw expert went through his stockpile before settling on the best one to sell me. He said it's almost impossible to find a good one these days cause they're usually all worn out and it's very hard to pick the difference.

KTPhil Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Yabbadubbadoo wrote: KTPhil wrote: You may have to do some trial and error. Mine has never been able to use a spec belt (too loose), so I ended up buying a throwaway until I got it dialed in. I even replaced my worn gen pulley just to be sure-- stock size still didn't fit. And it's the original motor so no funny baseness in the last 45 years.

Did you replace the cast alloy fan-pulley? I only ask because I needed to buy a new one and my local vw expert went through his stockpile before settling on the best one to sell me. He said it's almost impossible to find a good one these days cause they're usually all worn out and it's very hard to pick the difference.

Nope, and that's about the one possible explanation. I just use a shorter belt. As long as the width is a match it won't matter if it is worn to a smaller diameter. It's hard to see if it is worn, or to measure it. The steel gen pulley was obviously worn, but then it turns 3-4 times more often and has a greater force on it due to the smaller diameter.

grandpa pete Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:23 am

looked at the belt I have ;

numbers on it 15390 and 1798:13

mean anything to anyone ??