TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Weber or Kadron??
danjohnsen Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:00 pm

i have dual weber 40 carbs that just dont seem to run right.I was told that i could get a brand new set of Kadron carbs installed and tuned for under $500. He told me Kadrons are more reliable and simple. Should i keep the webers or go to the Kadrons. * I have a 1914cc 040 heads, engle 120 cam.

oh, and should i go with 40's or 44's??
Thanks!

UncleBob Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Webers, all the way.

I'd sooner find out what's going on with the Webers before swapping them out for a set of Kadrons.

With that said, Kadrons ARE a heap easier to set up and maintain. But, the performance gains of a properly set up set of dual downdrafts far outweighs this. Not to mention the quality...

vdubyah73 Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:14 pm

danjohnsen wrote: i have dual weber 40 carbs that just dont seem to run right.I was told that i could get a brand new set of Kadron carbs installed and tuned for under $500. He told me Kadrons are more reliable and simple. Should i keep the webers or go to the Kadrons. * I have a 1914cc 040 heads, engle 120 cam.

oh, and should i go with 40's or 44's??
Thanks!
\
Get over to the performance forum and post what your problems are. If Mharney or [email protected] respond don't try to blow smoke with them. Either one will stay with you until it's right. If they tell you to do something, do it. If you don't know how, say so and they'll walk you through it. If either one senses BS they'll drop the topic like a hot potatoe. Good luck with it.

Bill

Letterman7 Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 pm

I agree. I've run Webers (still do) on my cars. Some Kadron parts are getting harder to find for some reason; Weber parts are still (mostly) readily available. Like vdubyah said, Mharney and John are good sources of info. If you want or need a third opinion, I'll try to help!

Rick

Lo Cash John Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:14 pm

1 carb + 1 turbo = Heaven

As for your question, keep the webers and learn to tune them. Any good musician has to learn to tune his instrument.

seabeebuggy Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:48 pm

webers for sure. I went through hell with mine but now it is easy. note : I have a turbo on mine and that makes it much harder. like it was said go toalk to Mharney and or [email protected]. the will help you. I would think jetting will be 55 idles 180/200 airs and 135/140 mains.
I would start with 180 and135.

but before that you need to set the float level to 11mm or 11.5.. there are websited that show you how. then make sure you have 3.5 lbs or less fuel pressure NO more, not 3.75 ....3 lbs is best.

EZGZ Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 am

For those that don't want to invest the time in webers. Kadrons are a great choice.

I think to much emphasis is placed on all out performance.

Sure it is nice to know that you have the max your engine can give you but how often do you drive it on the limits?

It can be very frustrating to get all dressed up and ready to take your car somewhere and have that little peace of junk partially clog one idle jet.

God Bless Delorto's (idles from the top) :D

Kadrons are nice little carbs. Personally I always go with the smaller size.
(size doesn't matter if you know how to use it) :-)

40's are very drivable on a 1914.
Start right up, good economy, smooth running, great throttle response, easy access.

I feel old lately, I'm getting tired of fiddling with my cars. I want to get in and go someplace. My women aren't impressed by my mechanical ability. They are just out for a drive and don't want to watch me search for a snapping, poping, exasperating clogged jet.

I'm seriously thinking of building a 2 liter with a stock cam and single carb.

Around here everyone enjoys performance and bragging rights. Not to mention the bling when you pop the hood. Just depends what you need and can afford.

VW did real well with a pair of stock solex on their type lll

Ok, I'm off my soap box. Good luck.

danjohnsen Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:15 am

i agree. Will i notice the difference b/t Kadrons and Webers that much?? I just want reliable maintanance free carbs. Thanks

MURZI Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:39 am

read these:
http://home.comcast.net/~luvdemdubz/idf/idfsetup.htm

http://waitresses.servebeer.com:81/vwpage/index.htm

On a 1915 with 40's I would start with 32 vents, 55 idles, 135 mains, and 190 airs. Set your floats as prescribed in the articles and absolutely make sure your fuel pressure is no more than 3psi under hign rpm.

I like 44 webers better, in my limited experience anyway, I had a set on a 1641,stock cam, 041 heads, and they ran like a dream----properly jetted. The 44's give you way more tuning options----bigger or smaller engine. i.e. i had 44's on my 2276 too!!!!

lostinbaja Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:52 am

danjohnsen wrote: i agree. Will i notice the difference b/t Kadrons and Webers that much?? I just want reliable maintanance free carbs. Thanks

Clean air and clean fuel is all you need to keep Webers trouble free. There are a lot of replacement and aftermarket fuel filters that are absolute junk, so don't take for granted that you plugged idle jets are being caused by dirt getting past the air filter. Take it from someone that fought the problem for 2 Summers because I thought there is no way the dirt is getting thru the 2- Earls billet fuel filters. I replaced the 2- Earls filter with 1- German made Mann (OEM VW) fuel filter and I haven't had idle jet issues since (3 years).
Jerry...

Flat4Tom Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:30 pm

Go with the Webers.

Check out my experience with some of the 'best' Kadron's out there...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=198929&highlight=kadron+experience

YMMV, but you have the best, just have them tuned and keep them.

I have Weber 44s on my 2007 and am loving them.

Regards,
Tom

danjohnsen Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:54 pm

Thanks guys, sounds like Webers get the vote