TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternator question
modelac Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:54 pm

I finally installed my engine in my Nostalgia. My generator light remains on. I removed the generator light wire from the alternator and it goes out, so I know the light is wired correctly. What kind of ohm reading should I get between the large terminal and ground? This is a later model alternator.

Thanks for the help.

bountyhunterdm Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:50 pm

So help me out here. Did you convert from a generator to an alternator?

You need to have a light on the dash wired one side to a switched 12volt source and the other side to the D+ on the alternator. You should use a large gauge wire like # 10 to go between the large post on the alternator to the + side of the battery.

When you turn on the key, the 12 volts goes through the light and turns it on . This excites the alternator and when the motor stars turning the alternator starts to produce juice and the light goes off. This means the alternator is charging. You should measure about 13.5 volts with no accesories on like lights. If the dash light comes on, then the charging has stopped.

Hope this helps.

modelac Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm

I started out with an alternator as this was a later model engine. I understand the wiring concept. I think I may have an open circuit between the b- terminal the field winding.

thanks, Steve