TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buying and importing a '72 Thing from Mexico
Jake&Rocio Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Hi I need your input regarding a 1972 thing I have purchased from a guy in Tepic, Nayarit Mexico. 7,000 kilometers on the motor (4,300 miles about). Says he has a Super Beetle tranny in it. The original asking price was $4,800 but I got him down to $4,000. I am having it shipped (an extra $1,200) to my in-law's house in Tijuana so that I may import it myself (highly recommended by U.S. Customs by the way). Anyways, at $5,200 total let me know if you think it's a good deal. It's too late to go back anyway, I already bought it! By the way it's my first Thing, and first classic VW at that. Keep in mind it is a 1972, hence any differences in the suspension. See all the pictures the guy sent me at the following link...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jacobthomasharris/album/576460762384718230

Thanks for any info or input you can provide me with. Jake in Las Vegas, NV

Towel Rail Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:31 pm

Looks nice -- love the big tires. Welcome to the Samba! 8)

Ferretkona Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Looks nice. The swing axle tranny is often stronger. Are you going to drive it home or tow it?

Jake&Rocio Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:05 am

Towing it home behind my '04 Chevy Colorado 4x4. Hope it makes the 350 mile trip! It doesnt need to be registered to be able to legally tow it in the U.S. does it?

Jake&Rocio Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:09 am

Oh, I'm definately getting rid of all those cheezy decals as soon as I can too! Anyone know of a fuel can mount for the Thing? I know the thing shop sells one that fits inside the spare tire, but I want an external, military style one. Also, who sells Thing body lift kits anymore? My grandpa has one on his '73 we use for deer hunting here in Nevada but I've never seen one for sale.

Towel Rail Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:48 am

Jake&Rocio wrote: Oh, I'm definately getting rid of all those cheezy decals as soon as I can too!

I say keep 'em. Yours is a very distinctive 181, and you don't want to lose that!

bciesq Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:44 am

I think it's a great looking car (love the bus-style tail lights, the paint scheme and the transmission (no worries about constantly failing CV boots)), but I'll toss out a few suggestions:

1) Test the compression when you get it home. Mexican ACVWs came from the factory with dished pistons to lower compression to compensate for Mexican gas. You might want to keep it as is and drive, but it's something to keep in mind if you feel like you need more performance.

2) Lose the fan shroud. Those center mount fan shrouds are bad news. Read this thread for more info on shrouds:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153387

I'm not even sure where the oil cooler would go in those center mount shrouds. It looks like the car has been modified for full flow oil filtering (a very good thing if done properly), so perhaps it has an external oil cooler (also a good thing if done properly).

3) Related to #2, do something about those heat exchangers. Currently, you have heat exchangers but no fresh air running to them from the shroud (and that center mount shroud doesn't even have provisions for fresh air -- another reason to ditch it). The heat exchangers were designed to have air running through them even if you are not using heat. It they don't, they will heat up and cook the heads. You have two options here:

a) Leave the heat exchangers and get a new shroud that has fresh air holes.

b) Remove the heat exchangers and replace them with J tubes (does the car still have it's gas heater -- do you need heat?).

4) If the car is running rich and you can't adjust it through the normal means (tuning, jetting), check the fuel pressure. I don't think I've ever seen an electric fuel pump mated to a stock center mount carb (though I'm sure it's been done). Electric fuel pumps often run at higher pressure than mechanical fuel pumps and can overwhelm the ability of the carb to meter out fuel. There's nothing wrong with electric fuels pumps, it's just something to keep in mind. If the car is running rich and the fuel pressure is much above 4 psi, then consider a good fuel pressure regulator and call it a day.

5) Lose the chrome engine tin and replace it with black (or just paint it black).

Lastly, don't let my suggestions worry you. I know what I'm talking about only 50% of the time (and my wife says that's an overstatement). It's a good looking car with some nice upgrades and the PO put some time and money into it.

Welcome to Thing-dom, and we're glad to have you and hope you enjoy your stay.

Ben

markie61 Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:01 am

Jake&Rocio wrote: Also, who sells Thing body lift kits anymore? Try using the "search" button - this has been covered recently.

The hardtop is interesting - I've never seen on with the extra ridge/clearance/structure? on the back two-thirds. I couldnt tell from the pics why it was there, but it add an interesting look.

From most pics I've seen, people who want external jerry cans usually bolt the mounts to the flat top part of the bumper on the sides by the rear fender. They look pretty good (and almost natural) in that spot. I don't think you could do it with a '74 b/c the earmuffs would get in the way, but it should work on yours.

I vote with Towel Rail - the stickers add character. You won't confuse your Thing with the others in the Walmart parking lot.

Congratulations! You will always feel like you are in a 1-car parade!

Mark

Jake&Rocio Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:50 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll get rid of only the stickers advertising the Tepic, Mexico VW club that the PO belonged to though. And the Victorinox/Swiss sticker will make everyone think I drive a Swiss Army knife. Cork-screw anyone?

Towel Rail Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Jake&Rocio wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll get rid of only the stickers advertising the Tepic, Mexico VW club that the PO belonged to though. And the Victorinox/Swiss sticker will make everyone think I drive a Swiss Army knife. Cork-screw anyone?

Noooo! ;)

My Thing has a battered old "Whidbey Island" sticker on it -- I treasure it as part of the vehicle's history.

In all honesty, though, just do what you want. It's your car...

kubelmann Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm

No!!! No!!! No!!!! Removing stickers would be a mistake. They give the history character and nobel character of your car. Think before you make a serious culturaly error. Those stickers all rock....

Ferretkona Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:16 pm

Jake&Rocio wrote: Towing it home behind my '04 Chevy Colorado 4x4. Hope it makes the 350 mile trip! It doesnt need to be registered to be able to legally tow it in the U.S. does it?

I think it will need to be registered to be towed in CA. But if the Mexico tags are current you would be ok. Even on a tow bar the 4 wheels are on the road, they may be more inclined to let it go if you have a tow dolly.

I looked into buying a Mexican bug, US laws required tempered glass on the doors and rear and a laminated windshield.

You might want to add the Thing to your insurance now and get a insurance card or statement.

The best way to be sure is to call your NV DMV and the CA DMV and see what they want. I know that the DMV here in CA will issue one day moving permits.

On the other hand I barely ever see the CHP on the road anymore, you could just take a chance, I do not know what the Border crossing will want to see.

kubelmann Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:38 pm

Both vehicles need Mexican Insurance. You can buy it by the day online or at the border.

Jake&Rocio Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:12 pm

actually my current policy with State Farm is good up to 50 or 60 miles into Mexico, so if I add the Thing to my coverage I should be OK. Thanks for the advice though. How can I get a 1 day temporary moving permit if I don't have an address in CA?

Ferretkona Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Jake&Rocio wrote: How can I get a 1 day temporary moving permit if I don't have an address in CA?

Check with the NV DMV, a permit from them is probably ok for both states. They may want you to deposit money toward your NV registration. Might be cheaper to make sure the tags are current down there. you should not need a permit at all if current there.

I bought a Jeep that had not ran in ten years, registered in IL with no non-op on file. At the Auto club I was able to simply pay for one year of registration (cheap like $12) then transfer the title since it was current.
Thinking about it, you probably have to have it current in Mexico to transfer anyway.

I think you are getting a good deal here, I like the early Things with reduction boxes and bus tail lights.

Woreign Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:39 pm

If you remove the stickers, you might find that the paint is faded and you will be left with a shadow of the sticker. Then you'll want to repaint the car, and then you won't have any money left to buy those external gas cans!

addh79 Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Your new here but the most important thing you should know is to never buy anything from a guy named mike basso or thingsunlimited.com

this is very important advice!

learn it and apply it!

ask around,

thank me later

addh79 Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:56 pm

Your new here but the most important thing you should know is to never buy anything from a guy named mike basso or thingsunlimited.com

this is very important advice!

learn it and apply it!

ask around,

thank me later

J Flare Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:20 pm

Living in San Diego I can tell you that the Federallies make up laws as they go along. Nothing a little cold hard American cash can't take care of.

Be sure not to keep all your cash together on their side of the border in case you need to pay a so called fine. :wink:

Jake&Rocio Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:37 am

I know how to take care of the federales, I lived in Mexico 4 years. Its CHP and NHP I'm worried about!!