TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiper switch
nerf965 Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:32 pm

What is the best way to replaced wiper switch and turn signal switch. Mine were in a box when I bought the car and I am restoring back to factory. Do i have to remove the steering column to slide trhem into place. Thanks fr the help

Woreign Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Very easy project...

After removing the steering wheel and unplugging the wire harnesses, the switches will slide off the column (after removing the four bolts that hold them down). They come off as one piece. You may need to use the bushings between the old switches with the new ones. You'll also need to disconnect the rubber air hoses for the sprayer.

Good Luck.

nerf965 Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:27 pm

the problem i have the plastic wire harness to thick, which make me think it it the wrong switchs i bought one used from thing shop and one from the late great mike b. what are the part numbers that will work.
Tahnks again

wings_n_fins Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Bucko has in his gallery a very helpful photo of the propper wiper switch wiring for when you're ready to assemble your motor. Just a helpin' hand if you need it.

bucko Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:05 pm

Here it is:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/295085.jpg

nerf965 Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:20 pm

Thanks I was looking for that also, I am still try to get the switch down the steering wheel shaft. Plus my wiper switch switch has 6 terminals and the plug is 5. The old wipe switch had only 4 terminals.
Thanks for the help

mattt Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Sounds like you have a later wiper switch with possibly some other functions. What colors are the wires on the switch you have? The 5 terminal wiper switches usually have a set of contacts to run an electric windshield washer pump. The 6 terminal one may have the possibility of having delay wipers as well. Part #s I dont know, but looking at the switch w/ wire colors, I can tell which is which. Can you put up a pic?

nerf965 Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:10 am

The wire colors I have are black/yellow black/gray green brown red/black.

What the po did, was take all the wires out of plastic and spliced in 3in of wire. it looks like a total hack job. I am just trying to get th wires down the tube and looks factory. Any help would be great